Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Sundstrand Charge Check Valves

Roy
Anyone know what is inside the charge check (bypass) valves??? Obviously they have the ball check, a light spring, and the plunger to operate them but what, if anything, else is in them. Any working on freeing up two of them. One works fairly good now. The other one remains sticky. Have tried penetrating oil and various solvents. Valve seems to work best with hydraulic oil. If all else fails I can install them with the plungers up but would like to have them working so I can depress the release lever and roll the tractor around. Also, I know the valve are "non-serviceable" parts (e.g. can only buy the assemblies) but has anyone ever taken one apart? If so, how? Thanks,

RayS
Hi Roy, A couple of years ago Bunky posted a topic about buying them new for I believe around $38.00 He bought them at a hydraulic shop that sold Sundstrand parts I believe.

HubbardRA
Roy, Soak the tip of that valve in Kroil for a day or two. That will loosen all the hardened crud in the ball/seat area. I have gotten so that I use Kroil for loosening up everything. It is the best I have found so far. I buy it by the gallon, but because of its cost, I use it sparingly. It doesn't take much of it to loosen things up.

DBork
Hi Roy - Check out this link: http://cubfaq.com/relief1.html It is for a Cub Cadet - but they use the same (or very similar) valve. I have done this check valve repair twice and have had success both times. Just clean things up and replace worn o-rings. I used a file rather than a lathe to remove the original crimped seal on the valve. Good Luck! Dave B. Saunderstown, RI

Roy
Ray/Bunky/Rod, Thanks for the information. And Rod, I do use Kroil. Dave, Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I was looking for. ^ My suspicion is that the small o-ring on the valve stem is defective. Thanks again to all.