Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Red,Green,Orange ,or Purple?

Dark

So like many, I always thought about if I was to build a tractor what would it look like and what would it be used for? I own a shop and repair lawn equipment as well as U Haul Rentals my 2210 works great for moving trailers around and clearing the snow from the drive. I am not a Farmer but do enjoy working the soil in the five acres we have in back ,sweetcorn and beans some potatoes now and then. the simplicity works in the fields also but its allot of ground to plow up and keep tilled for the Lil' ten horse. having tins and other old parts hanging around before salvage I started pulling parts that have resale value and came across an old Murry with the square front clip I liked the style of it and a few other things that some of the MTD's had on them so this is the start of what happened next. I built a frame from 3/16X1X2box tubing thinking yea race tractor low and boxxy , when I put it up in the build stand it appealed to me to make a work tractor so here is the list of Major parts used: 1. Briggs & Stratton 19 hp Diamond opposed twin engine 2. 1983 ford bronco limited slip rear differential 3. 1968 ford (T18) 4 speed transmission w/PTO cover 4. Murray front clip tins 5. 2 each Pivot rims and tires 6. 2 each Allis Chalmers flat top fenders (Oliver green when I got them ) 7. 2 each temporary spare tires and wheels 8. International Harvester hydraulic steering motor and cylinder 9. For the mower work I have a roseman reel that will be pulled behind. Here are some of the pics taken of work in progress just need to pick one color I guess ..UHaul orange and Allis Orange are very close to the same colors...what would you pick ?

looks interesting. as for paint i think you should go with something different like florecent yellow that way you cant loose it:D

JimDK the Murray tin work was sooo short I ended up mule driving the transmission using a snow blower spindle set up on its end and putting the clutch on the driven side so the mule drive always has a positive tension. The rear is #50 chain when done final gear at rear end is 3.55:1 haven't figured the math yet for the 42 inch high tires 127 inch circumference the torque ratio is 72.654 ft pound at final a bit weak but that will be another challenge. each axle was shortened to 22 1/8th inches that may be another post what a pain to do without the proper tools (I have them) so I can post how its done properly. [url]http://www.compgoparts.com/TechnicalResources/JackshaftRatioCalculator.asp[/url] this useful link is how I know this number.

The overall look is going to be closer to the Allis with those fenders, so the Allis or U haul would be my pick. Not purple, and on this site, not green.

I'm likin' what I'm seein' dOd Thanks for the link to the calculator, being a fan of Comp Cams, I'm surprised I missed that. I would also be interested in seeing a DIY axle narrowing tutorial for sure. Here's an interesting collection of engineering references that you might find handy: [url]http://www.engineersedge.com/[/url] I think it would be cool to go with Murray red and some pictures of the final drive set up would be nice too. Keep us posted

I like the tough setup,hate plastic dash.Some kinda stainless plate would be good. Seafoam Green would look great(no, not kidding,think about it). Wish I was that talented!

update: camera batteries were dead today so ill have to get photos in the morning.. Ive taken most of the tin work off to show the linkages and the concepts I will be using for brakes and and drive systems also more details about what does what and how lol. for now tho: Pungo I hate plastic also the dash is metal the whole thing is but the tires, I would rather fight rust then sun bleach plastic. sea foam green?? :o) thought about candy sour apple green but then its too close to a Deere. The UHaul color and the Allis are very close well UHaul is more of the cross between snapper and simplicity. thinking about those colors on a gold base with metal flake. like a Candy Orange,might be HOTfm The brakes are hydraulic, a master cylinder from a car will be used it sits in the rear of the tractor but although it has two chambers only one will be used for brakes as they carry different pressures and wouldn't apply brakes properly. I should be getting the steering motor and the cylinder by the weekend should make for a easyer rolling chassis. thanx for looking at the project and the feedback winter is on the way and this will be used for removing snow, so the rush is on :o)