Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bee Report

MPH

Been asked a few times how my bee project did, GREAT, caused me lots of tractor time, ^ Also produced 7 gallons of honey, this picture is missing 3 quarts that I gave my girls,

Including the one who helped me extract the first batch.

Second batch

here they are buzzing hard

Every thing I've read says bees won't fly til it's 45 -50 degrees, guess mine are meant for Tok, this morning at 30 degree while trying to insult them to hold them til I get the back porch ready I had to go put my veil on, when I opened the top to feed them sugar water they came after me.--their early winter home

30 degrees already? Makes me want to cry. With that much honey, it reminds of the scene in Forrest Gump: Honey soup, honey burgers, honey gumbo, honey ka-bobs.....

That's a good harvest. I know you had the clover nearby, but the first batch looks lighter. What do you think they were feeding on that made the difference? Wildflowers?

First batch was mostly Fireweed as my clover didn't really start blooming good til Aug. Next year I hope to have a couple hives that I can move out to heavy fireweed patches, gotta make a bear proof trailer first.

That is very cool. That much honey would last me a lifetime, but then again, if I had it fresh and that readily available, my sweet tooth might just take over. How much gets consumed during the making of the batches? :p

quote:
Originally posted by PGL
That's a good harvest. I know you had the clover nearby, but the first batch looks lighter. What do you think they were feeding on that made the difference? Wildflowers?
Second batch might be darker cause the litle one may have peed in one batch . Just kidding looks like a lot of work making honey

Yeah!Nothing like working in the buff on a 30 degree Morn! I am addicted to honey and peanut butter sandwiches,accepting all donations to feed my habit.

A friend of mine bought an apple orchard and last year was his first year bottling honey. The first batch came out looking pretty clear, ever since then it has had the more traditional golden tone to it. Honey on toast...tough to beat.