Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7013s starting problem

frecato

Hi all. I recently got introduced to these old garden tractors and think that it would be a great winter project, however this is the first time I have tried something like this and have a couple of questions. I found a great deal (hopefully) for a 7013s for $75 (think its a 77), only kicker was that it did not start. Both the engine and under the seat are pretty dirty, not sure if I should use water or some gunk remover to clean them. I got it in my garage and the battery turns the belt on the starter but I don't hear anything from the engine at all. I tested the plug and I am not getting any spark to the plug (new). Someone mentioned cleaning the points, but I am not sure how to do this, I do have the manuals if someone can point me in the right direction. I started getting a little worried that there might be something wrong with the engine and wanted to see if someone can let me know what they think before I start restoring this tractor. I can turn the belt connected to the starter very freely either way. I don't have a compression tester but will use the old finger over the hole to see if I feel any pressure when I get home. If I start the tractor in gear as it tries to start the tractor does move forward, but I am not sure if that helps at all. If I manually move the belt while the spark plug is off I can see the piston (i think) move up and down, but I can see some discoloration down there. And lastly if the plug is in and I try to start the engine, when I take the plug out I am not sure that there is any gas smell on the plug. Oh and I did replace the spark plug. sm00 As long as I know that I can get this engine started I would love to restore this tractor but just need a little assurance. I am in the Danbury, CT area if there is anyone close enough that wants to see if this thing will live or not. As a side note if this ever starts if someone can let me know where I can get a carb rebuild kit it would be great. I appreciate any help I can get, thanks. -Nick

If the engine turns and the piston goes up and down in the cylinder (and no holes in the block) that's a good sign. If no spark, start there first. Get a good spark then work on the fuel system. If it's in otherwise good shape definitely keep and/or restore it! You'll have a lot of fun. Can you post some pics?

What you are seeing is the valve moving not the piston. If no compression at all when you turn it over, I`m thinking some thing is wrong with the connecting rod. Like it is not connected to anything. If it truns over real easy. If thats the case, witch Ihope it is not. You have start with a great tractor, just need an engine. Gives you lots of time to clean it up. This is a wonderful hobby hope you enjoy it.

You should be able to turn the motor by hand, but it shouldnt be VERY easy.... not like spinning a bicycle wheel, more like a bowling ball up a steep hill...... kinda hard, but kinda easy. If it does spin VERY easy, there is most likely a problem. I would start by doing a compression test.... if you dont have a tester, you can "rent" one from an auto parts store....... you'll get your money back when you return the tool.... so really it's free. start there. no sence trying to getr spark if you have no compression. If you DO have compression... give us an update and we'll go to the next step. If it can run, it will. You're in the right place.

The "finger over the hole" method works as good as a compression gauge, in a pinch. Crank it over, with the plug out, and your finger over the hole. It should blow your finger off without much effort. If there is compression, next check for spark. Lay the plug on top of the engine, with the plug wire attached, so you can see if it has spark. Crank it over, and observe. If it has spark, drip some gas into the plug hole, reinstall the plug, and see what it does. Good Luck!

The first thing I usually do with old engines is to remove the cylinder head. This way I can check the motion of the piston and valves. You could have a stuck valve that will prevent the engine from developing compression. I have had this problem a couple times. The points will be underneath a cover that is on the left side of the tractor (when sitting on the seat), and just behind the grille. On the B/S engine both the points and the condenser are mounted under the cover. The points should be cleaned with sandpaper, then adjusted to .020.

Ok guys so I did the finger test and nothing, I felt absolutely nothing on my finger and the belt turns as easy as a bicycle wheel, I can do it with one finger. I guess the next thing is to start dismantling the engine starting with the head. I'll take it apart soon I hope, just need to find some time. Once I get this open and find out what the problem is, where would I be able to find replacement parts? I will post anything I find here. Thanks a lot for your help.

So I have not had time to take the Briggs apart yet but did find a Kohler K321 14hp horizontal shaft engine for sale and wanted to know if anyone knew if this would fit my Simplicity 7013. I want to get the tractor running while I take apart the Briggs since it may be a while and the Kohler is in running condition (at least that is what the guy says). Also would I have to make any modifications to the tractor to accomodate this engine, I saw someone on ebay selling a K321 in what looked to be a simplicity or allis chalmers. Thanks -Nick