Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How my Tuesday started...

Burntime

I fire up the GTH-L to sweep all the acorns and leaves off the lawn because the lawn guy is coming. Its huffing about 10 minutes into the choir. Check the air cleaner and its a glogged. Clean it out, up the idle a little and its running like a champ. I get 3/4 of the way done and the end of the muffler literally pops off? I put it to the side and pull out the 916 and finish. I go back to the GTH-L and open the hood, open the flange on the end of the muffler and fit it on. Turn the stick welder down and blew a hole in the muffler...ARGGGGG. Turn it down some more and fill the hole and tack it back on. While I am at it I clean the starter and triflow the shaft...pull the plugs and gap them (they were .30 instead of .25) Now 2.5 hours gone for a half hour job. I should not complain as it never gives me problems but wow, what a wierd one. I have been meaning to triflow the starter gear...:D

Use carb cleaner on the shaft and then tri-flow it. It cleans all the grit so it engages and lubricates so it retracts propperly. Now the gear spins out and retracts as it should...

I understand the carb cleaner part, mine have always worked best with NO lubrication. "and then tri-flow it" I still don't understand what is meant by "tri-flow". What did I miss?

I had never heard of Tri-Flow lubricants before. I kept thinking of flowing something on the bendix three times in a row, which didn't make sense to me.

It works wonderful. Now when I engage the starter it flies out and kicks back like new. It seems with the way the flywheel moves air (dusty in fall) and the position of the starter I end up doing it every other year. I cut up a lot of leaves so that could add to the problem. At 12.50 a 12 oz can it is not cheap but if I do not use it(waste) on stuff it should last. Its also a penetrating oil so I end up using it up and having to buy another when I need it again.