Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 fitted to diesel now..

crankyyankee

Anyone done this? I fabricated a 10 hp diesel to my Allis B-10. Runs like a TANK now.. Even used a Farmall muff.. to quiet her down. Took a few weeks to pull off. My 16 hp died when i was using the my loader attachment. Smoked the rod. So i got the idea for diesel.. Cost me under 1,000.00 to do. I have about 8 hrs on it and still breaking in. But i couldnt wait so i pulled my bottom plow to help make a trench.. WOW! . I love it.. PS will put pictures on here soon.. how do i pay to become a full member? ?

These are some pics. I used a clone yanmar i was told. I got from Carrol Stream motors. I recommend using electric start cause i didnt. I havnt mounted starter generator yet.. I use the side bevel gear pull start.. its not bad with decompression lever.. Im going to run her on vegie oil soon.. I need dually wheel spacers..lol.. i went back to single tires till i get them..

Gary, Beautiful job putting the diesel in the Big 10. ^ Been thinking about doing a similar diesel conversion. Love to see more pictures and learn some details of the conversion. Carry on,

Nice job on the conversion!! I used a Lister Petters air cooled diesel in my Wheel Horse. Your engine is much more compact and turned out looking very nice. You'll enjoy it, Chris

Nice job!!! You should get some retro diesel stickers & put on there like they did with the big farm tractors in the 50's & 60's when having a diesel version was the big thing, and top of the line.

Hey Gary, Welcome to the club. Its neat to see the B-10 with the sheet metal on it. Tell me did you try a locknut on the issue we talked about last Saturday? There is a ton of torque there. It was nice meeting you, and checking out your projects The B-10 modified looks cool with sheet metal on it. We'll be talking soon, Dave

I had to make quite a few changes to fit it.. first took off the pull start, second had to fabricate a piece of metal to join pully and bolt to flywheel.. i had to weld the block in the front of the tractor to the from because those bolt heads were in the way.Also cut some of the battery tray housing so air filter fits. The diesel muffler i took off and cut off the flange then welded a piece of 1in pipe and installed elbow with farmall muffler. i used the spacers when ur hydrolift pully would go so i can add later when i finish her up. ( I just wanted to get it going first to make sure it would work). I used the two enigine bolts in the front to bolt down.. everything needs lockwashers diesel is alittle rougher and i lost a few bolts while bottom plowing.. The fuel tank i removed from diesel and put in the tank section of the tractor.. I think i could of used the original tank if i put a small nipple on the top for the return line. Hooked up some longer fuel lines. Added fuel and started her right up.. The front grill housing had to be remounted about 11/2 out so i moved the hood forward and remade mount holes.. A 6hp diesel might be all you need. If my b110 dies its getting a Diesel..

Hi Cranky Yankee, Great install - it looks great! I have 6 hp version of a similar Yanmar diesel clone on a Troybilt tiller - it works great. I always thought it would be cool to put that 6hp diesel into my engine-less 725, but had some questions that maybe you could answer: 1) Having used your 10hp diesel, do you think the 6hp version would be enough power to do useful work? I use mine for tilling, snow plowing, pulling cart around yard. I've had a 7.25 hp Briggs, a 10 hp Kohler and a 15 hp Briggs in mine over the years. All worked OK, but the 10 and 15 hp were definite improvements. Don't think i ever went past about 3/4 throttle on the 15 hp.. 2) did you have to drill and tap the diesel flywheel to accept the driveshaft mount? Or, did the diesel flywheel havetapped holes already that you could bolt to? Anyway - nice tractor and thanks for any info on your swap! Dave B Saunderstown, RI

Yes 6 hp is prob equal to the 10 hp gas. I feel my 10hp diesel is way too much. Plus 6 hp is alittle smaller i think and would be easier to get in. Flywheel i had used the piece that bolts on to the flywheel for the pull start. I welded the pulley to that. At first i bolted with a plate but found it would come loose and get out of balance. Make sure that everything is straight.. I did notice that my rear of driveshaft has a rubber cushion to absorb some play.If you can have a machine shop make an adapter that fits existing flywheel holes. The last see if you can use a rubber mount or cut a piece of rubber and put between engine and tractor. this may help alittle vibration from diesel. I havnt done it to mine yet. I just bolted like the factory engine. I would get electric start if not use rope start or starter generator. The 10hp diesel used bottom plowing and she pulled a few rocks out from the ground the size of a watermelon.Tractor didnot hesitate and when i got stopped on one i started doing a wheelie.. Carrol Stream motors website gives a reference conversion on the diesel to gas hp on those engine. If one of my b110 engines die i will prob do a 6hp diesel electric start. LOL RED and GREEN is funny!!