Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SNOW?

richp

Does the saying,- be careful what you wish for as you might just get it come to mind lately. We are supposed to get over a foot of snow here in southern new england saturday and I get to play with my two kids(tractors). Should be heading your way next Kent,are you ready?

Yep, I think so. Snowblower's on, and I've used it a couple times with the little ones we've gotten. I scratched the heck out of my driveway (spinning with chains) last year, trying to push the snow/ice so I mounted the snowblower this winter instead. My problem is I don't have a good place to pile the snow out of the way, so I have to pile it high ... Lot's of scratching and spinning even with a 100+ lb. counterweight and chains... The blower puts it up high on the pile or way out in the yard ... One of these years I hope to have the Big Ten running so I can have a blade on one, and a blower on the other....

Well its about time you guys out east got your share of snow this year. I still have about 23" on the ground and had to cut open a 400 foot trail today with my Homelite and blade. What took about 2 hours with the blade would of probably taken 1 hour with the blower. We have had about 54" 40 miles northwest of Detroit so far this year and 80 miles further west of me they have already had 76" of the white stuff and closer to Lake Michigan even more. Hey we would have more on the ground but we also have had our share of freezing rain all 1-1/2" of it mixed in with the white stuff. My tractors need a break along with me. It may be time to get the blower back from the dealer yet so I can hit something else with it ha ha. :>) Have fun glad its your turn, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S we are supose to get a whopping 1-3" tonight or 3-5" depending on who you care to beleive. One more thing my plow hitch clean broke about 6" ahead of the pins on both sides even though the springs took up some of the shock while going about 2 miles an hour. I found that on both sides where the cross support is at that there were stress cracks near the support is welded to the main frame and with the below zero temps it just plain broke. But it will not break now at least anywhere near were I rewelded it. You all might want to keep an eye on or near the welds for cracks before they actually break.

Wheeling and dealing last week I came up with a 42" blower and a near new snow cab for my one of my 7100's. I need to get them mounted up this weekend in case my Wheel horse breaks in half again. Its already broke twice at the foot plate support, and I just welded the transmission mount back together. I guess Toro thought it would be funny to remove the re-enforcements in the frame to save money. One of these days I am going to put the engine in a Simplicity and throw the Toro Wheel horse in the junk pile. Gotta stick with something tough and reliable. Sam

I'm ready in RhodeIsland,they are saying anywhere from 12 to 18 inches in the northern part of the state.I know up in the Worcester hills near Kents house is realy going to be hit.My 310 is ready to go and the 710 is on standby,bring it on!!!

Enjoy the snow for now guys, because after the first couple of snowfalls, plowing the drive can get old. Even when you're using the best machinery made. Here in Madison, WI area we've had 35" in December, a record for December in these parts. We are now just a couple inches short of the total snowfall all of last year, and about 2" short of the snowiest month ever on record. Each snowfall has been followed by minus 20F or lower wind chills. We haven't been above freezing since before Thanksgiving. I'm running out of room to put the snow. Happy Plowing to you guys out East and Happy New Year too! Paul

So far Morristown, Tennessee has been living a charmed life. We got a dusting this morning but aren't supposed to get much more. Just to be sure I mounted the dozer blade, and and original rear tires with chains, on my B-1 so I will be ready. This ususally works. I bought a snow shovel a few years ago and haven't had to use it yet. Roy