Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lampoulos

6212.5 Resurrection Frustration

lampoulos
Gentlemen, I'm at the breaking point with my current project and just need a few words of encouragement. I figured if anyone cared it would be all of you. I recently took in a dilapidated 6212.5 which I was told was put out to pasture because the engine was running a little rough. I found a couple of other small issues and thought it might make a good addition to my sad attempt to have my own simplicity fleet. As I began disassembling it I found that the reason the engine was bogging down on the guy was because the entire gear box assembly had moved forward in the frame due to a broken mount strap on the top. This caused the brake drum to wear its way into the frame causing a lot of drag. I fixed this problem by rewelding a new braket. One of the other "small" issues that I came accross with this project was that the previous owner was retaining the left side steer wheel with a pair of vise grips instead of an e-clip. That was easily remedied with a new spindal assembly (thanks Ralph). But what I found in reassembly is that the previous owner must have hit something really hard because not only was the old spindal bend but the drag link under the counsol was too! The previous owner already put a new tie rod in, for reasons that are now under suspicion. Anyway I'm telling you all of this to lead to a new issue. The entire tractor now leans to it's right side, even with a larger tire on the front left side (oh yah, the last guy was driving it around with two different sized tires in the front too). So now what am I looking at? Bent frame from the illusive impact that ravaged the steering system???? Then while I was working on all of this somehow I lost spark and cannot start the engine!!! If I spend more time on it I'll problably figure it out. I just thought it'd be more constructive to write this forum instead of throughing a brake band through my garage window...... Thanks for listening. I really do love working on these tractors..

Cvans
First of all if you get upset remember what my Wife told me when I found that the plane I bought had been badly misrepresented. "If you find you have bought a lemon, make lemon juice". After some work my plane turned out to be a Peach and I have had many many hours of pleasure with it. The 6212.5 is a great tractor. And now that you mention it I think mine leaned a little to one side also. They are well worth the effort to get running again. Mine probably did a better job on the yard than any tractor I've owned. It was smooth with the twin cylinder engine and very good about gas consumption. The only beef I had was with the Hydro contols location. I sold it to a family friend because he needed a tractor with a snowblower. Keep your chin up,you will have something to be proud of when your done! Chris

MPH
Haven't found one of the small frame tractors yet but I understand they pivot between the frame and the rear end, sounds to like your lean is caused by that being rusted up. If the rear sits level and just the front is leaning that's where I'd be looking.

lampoulos
The axle was loose and digging into the frame before, but I've fixed that problem already. I wish I could post a picture of it for you. Even sitting in the seat you can tell there's a lean. I took the rear tires off and measured the distance from the rear axle to the top of the wrapping of the frame and there's only a 1/4" difference between the two sides. But that translates into quite a lean in the front. Looking at it I really don't see where you can adjust the way the rear of the frame sits on the axle, it's a fixed assembly. That's why I'm afraid the frame was tweaked pretty bad when it hit. Now that my wife and I are settled into our new home in North Dakota and I've allowed myself some time to calm down a little, I think I'm going to take some time and restore this tractor piece by piece over the winter (thank god I've got a heater in the garage), maybe I'll find out more then.

Cvans
I think if you get it apart and sight across it, the problem will be pretty obvious. You get her done and you will be happy. I blew a ton of snow with mine last winter. I live in the other Dakota and I think you folks had more snow than us last winter. Take care, Chris in SD

lampoulos
I haven't witnessed a Dakota winter yet but am nerviously looking forward to it. I've been seeing a lot of block heater plugs hanging out of most the cars around here. That's something I've never seen in Michigan. The 5116 is going to take on the snow removal responsibility this year then hopefully the 6212.5 will be alive and kicking the next. As long as my fingers aren't sticking to its metal I'll be working on it through the winter and spring.

Cvans
I say this tounge in cheek, our winters haven't been that bad for many years. Last year was the first year we had normal snowfall in ages. I thought our lakes were going to dry up. Chris

lampoulos
On another note. Has anyone ever tried running one of these tractors without the fuel shut off solenoid? Mine went bad and the dealer is telling me it's a $75 item. I replaced it with a plug as the service manual indicates (but doesn't exactly come right out and say), but am not sure how it'll run being I haven't figured out the spark issue yet. Also, I'm looking for a wiring schematic for this tractor but cannot find it anywhere on the "simple" websites. Can anyone help?