Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
timflury

How much trouble have you had,,,,,,

timflury
removing wheels from an old, rusted up tractor. I'm only halfway there.(one done) I made myself a puller to get the wheels off. I'm using MAP gas to heat up the sleeve and my impact gun on the puller. I've been spraying PB Blaster everyday for the last week with no results. I would also have pictures, but the uploader isn't working either.

steve-wis
Took the wheels off of my 810GT to redo the tranny. They were sticky, but was able to work them off without heat. Had been on for at least 2 or 3 years. I plan to take them off once a year and clean the axle, and oil them so I can get them off when I have to. Steve

AC_B-1Novice
Tim, for what it is worth I ran across this tip from a site in Canada where old time engine people and machinests gathered for their yearly meeting. They did a test with penetrating liquids this year and here is the winner by far according to them. It beat ALL they compared it too and they ran the gambit of trials. Equal parts of transmission fluid and acetone. They said it was far superior to anything else they could find. JUST FYI. larry P.S. Acetone is fingernail polish. It is a powerful solvent so remember that.

timflury
Larry, I agree, acetone IS a powerful solvent. Rust-Oleum recommends reducing their paint with acetone. NEVER use an acrylic measuring cup to measure the acetone.OO

kenmill1958
Personally I have used a product called Kroil for years. Smells kinda like Marvel Mystery oil. Great stuff!! We use it in aviation all the time. Put some never sieze on thso threads when you reinstall

pungo
Dadblasted!Some serious mess there to use all of that.Some thoughts; Dow Corning Anti-Seize. That recipe for penetrating fluid could be a Bootstrap Business Product. A heat gun works wonders.

perry
the rims on the smaller lawn tractors i just strip the tire while its still on the tractor. them axle shaft/spindle mounted rear rims can be a real PAIN to get off.