Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 Cat 0 3-pt hitch/PTO implements

sammiefish

Is the rear PTO on the Powermax and ac620/720 a universal size... the category 0 implements seem sparse as well... any opinions im about to pick a 4040 up and i am wondering about the useability of the rear pto

Rear PTO is at the speed of 2000rpms not the normal 540 like the large tractors. Also the 3 point hitch is also a category 0 not a cat 1 likes the compact tractors. If you watch you can find them on ebay.

i guess thats what i meant... i think the cat 0 hitch has a weight limit of ~450lbs ??? Also wondering about the shaft/hole size in the 4040 rear pto ... is this a standard or is it a simplicity / ac proprietary thing... I see 3rd party cat 0 implements new but wondered if the shafts would fit these tractors

Hey sammiefish, When I bouht my 720, it included a 4 foot wide Howse Box Blade that had been adapted to Cat 0 by mounting the lower pins facing inwards. It seemed to fit OK, and I'd guess that other Cat 1 items could be setup or modifed to work like that. Good luck

I'll not say it can't be done, but modifying cat-1 implements are hard on the tractor being as they are too heavy. As for the cat-0 size, there was a time when this cat-0/2000rpm setup was an industry standard for this sized sub-compact tractors. Deere, Snapper, Massey, AC/Simplicity, all made tractors and implements around this size and rpm range. They can still be found around if you know what to look for. Tillers, brush hog mowers, flail mowers, rear mount sickle,etc. all were made.

I just bought at an auction Saturday a Cat 0 Yamaha rotary cutter(bush hog) didn't know Yamaha made these type things and it has a Made in USA plate on it.42" wide and very heavy duty.Cat 0 implements are a little hard to find as now most all large garden tractors have the cat 1 hitch and/or sleeve hitch.