Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lilbucksht

Winterizer kit

lilbucksht
Well I got my snowthrower hooked up this weekend and I am pleased to say the least. This will be my first year throwing snow sitting down. I still need two more 25lb'ers for the back and a snow-cab in the future but I am wondering, How bad do I need to have the winterizing kit? When I bought the snowthrower I didn't know I needed one. [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/1ha7hf.jpg[/IMG]

cwm1276
1. How warm is the garage? Watch for snow melt dripping off the hood onto the carb and linkages. It may freeze up if the garage is cold. When shutting it down let it run for a few minutes in the garage to dry the engine and carb, also make sure no more snow can drip off! My dad ended up just making a cover extending down from the hood and over the carb to help eliminate the issue on his 716. One my 7117 with the a twin it has the advantage that the carb between the cylinders and directly under the hood.

HubbardRA
The problem is not just when parked in the garage. Blowing snow hitting the carb combined with the vaporization of the fuel can cause the carb to freeze up when in operation during the snow blowing. The winterizing kits do more than cover the carb, they also allow heat from the exhaust to heat up the carb and prevent the internal icing in very cold weather. They also keep snow buildup from jamming the throttle and governor linkages during snow blowing.