Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity314

7016 "throttling down"

Simplicity314
Well, I got my freebie 7016H running, but while running, the engine "throttles down" every so often. It doesn't seem to be dying--it just sounds like I'm powering down by easing off the throttle, then revs back up again. When it does this, it still runs smoothly--no sputtering or popping or anything, so I don't think it wants to die. I can see the governor moving when this happens. Any ideas about what could cause this condition? The throttle shafts are leaking pretty badly, but I've had leaky shafts before and it never seemed to affect the machine this badly. There are also some issues with the hydro, but first things first. Thanks in advance.

comet66
Heavy carbon build up will be red hot and continue to fire the gas entering the cylinder until it cools. I've also seen a malformed metal head gasket that stuck into the cylinder do the same thing. That type of situation will often cause dieseling in a car engine.

Simplicity314
Thanks comet, but it started soon after I started it cold--under a minute. I don't think it was enough time to get carbon that hot.

toomanytractors
The first thing you need to do is replace the worn throttle shaft and the bushings. The first time I experienced this problem I was amazed at the difference. Worn shaft and bushings are causing a lean condition and allowing the governor to "hunt" for where it wants to be. Good luck!!

Simplicity314
Thanks too many tractors...that must be it. I've had worn shafts before, like I said, and noticed the shaft jumping around but with no noticeable difference to engine idle. I was going to replace them eventually anyway, so I'll have to fast track it. dOd