Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonderboy Repower..?

MatthewS

A friend visited this past weekend, and we were discussing my growing Simplicity collection. He said his father had bought some kind of “weird” riding lawn mower back in the 1950’s and he had used the engine for a go-cart after his father bought a “real” garden tractor in 1963. He said he thought it might be a Simplicity. I went over to his house tonight, and sure enough, buried in the back of the barn was a Wonderboy just like the one pictured below (less the engine). This machine has hardly been used. It has the original paint, a beautiful 24” Aluminum deck and even a 30” snow blade. After a little “horse trading,” I brought it home. The original engine is supposed to be a B&S 5 ¾ hp Model 143302 Type 502587. Should I hunt around for one of these, or install a new current model..? I want to “restore” this thing back to a WORKING machine..! Anybody know what kind of new engine would be an “easy” fit..? http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1957/wb_24rotary.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question but your picture has answered a load of mine! Thanks for posting it! Its similar to mine but mine has a 32" deck, 8hp engine and air tires in the front. The "stick" is painted and the grip looks like the hilt of a sabre and says "Simplicity". I think it would be neat to tool around the tractor show on it this summer. Sam