Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

that time of year again...mice!

perry

just a reminder to check for mice before you start your tractor . i herd that dryer sheets work to repel them. but they have to be bounce original sent. i tryed a knock off brand in my shed and a few tractors but it did not work. im going to try the original bounce . moth balls dont seem to work here. it seems to be a losing battle around here for mice. and they love to get into my old single cylinder briggs motors with the mag/coil under the shroud. and ofcource the majority of my tractors have them motors ;). my dog hunts for mice daily around the yard and in the sheds and lets me know when she finds one. i have them cute little brown mice with big ears that look up at ya right before the spade shovel ends their life. my dog will catch and kill'em also. but being a large dopey st.bernard she is slow at times and some get away. she will check the tractor out before i start it and check every tractor i bring home in the trailer. we nicked named her inspector [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/Wheelhorse006.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/Wheelhorse007.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/march07sim101003.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/MYDC0021-2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/misctractor003.jpg[/IMG] wet and filthy dirty after a big mouse hunt. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/1001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/222.jpg[/IMG] here is a list of some uses for bounce sheets . "Bounce" This Along 1. My mail carrier told me that the US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow-jackets away. 2. Use them all the time when playing baseball and soccer. I use it when I am working outside. It really works. The yellow jackets just veer around you. 3. All this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer! It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them. It also repels mice. 4. Spread sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle. 5. It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often. 6. It repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season. 7. Eliminate static electricity from your television (or computer) screen. 8. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling. 9. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce. 10. To freshen the air in your home - Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet. 11. Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner. 12. Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew. 13. Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing. 14. To freshen the air in your car - Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat. 15. Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan. 16. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bo ttom of the wastebasket. 17. Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs. 18. Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling. 19. Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth. 20. Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper. 21. Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight. 22. Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away. 23. Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. It will keep them smelling fresh.

I have a box here. Tried them for mice in my wood shop, but with limited success it seems. Will be going out this weekend to re-bounce everything I have also tried the electronic high pitched noise makers to repel mice and insects. Those seem to only work in tight small rooms. They dont seem to work in my shop or garage areas.

I found my answer on this site. Fill a bucket (I used 3 gallon) about 1/3 full of water. Smear some peanut butter about 1" tall right above the water line. Make a ramp from the ground to the top of the bucket. Wait for them to fall in. To spruce it up, use a soda bottle with a hole drilled in the center of the cap and the bottom. Run a wire through it and attach it to the top of the bucket. Smear peanut butter around the center of the bottle. When the mice try to get on it, the bottle spins and they end up swimming. Over the past two winters, I've caught around 12-16 mice in my sheds this way, and have never had on in any of my equipment.

My son and I were in a parade Friday afternoon with my Duece and a half Army truck and it was cool out so we had the heat on the whole ride to the parade, during and after. All of the sudden my son says, what the heck! a newborn mouse came out of the defroster vent. I could see another one in the vent. I wondered where the mother was, well the next day we took off the defroster hoses and found a big nest and four more dead babies, still no mother. Then my son disconnected the defroster hose under the steering wheel and lo and behold a very big dead momma mouse, dead of course. It was starting to stink pretty bad in there until we got rid of the whole bunch of them.

What,doesn't any of you place your tractor in a hermetically sealed bubble?It works wonders,keeps it dry, and you can still enjoy looking at it during those cold days.:)

I put decon in my shed as well. Never in the garage as they smell up the garage and house. I use snap traps in the garage.

I use D-Con, but I really like the peanut butter in the water bucket idea. With D-Con, you really don't know where the mouse dies.

I don't like Decon. The mouse that eats it walks away and any other animal that eat the mouse is then killed by the Decon. I have seen domestic cats and dogs as well as fox killed this way. I still like the snap traps and the water bucket sounds like a good idea to. Never saw dryer sheets or moth balls do any good. Our last Minnesota fishing resort had a number of season campers that tried everything to keep mice out of their RV's. The only thing that really worked was the snap trap. The mice tend to come in for winter so run your trap line in the fall for several weeks checking it every couple of days. Then their population will get down to where they are no longer a problem. Dan

We have non-poisonous Black Snakes.Anybody in the know never kills a Black Snake down here,even though they get in places some time that freak you out,like cabinet drawers. I was plagued with field rats moving in this time of year until I contracted with a fellow to take the hay off the fields and then finish mow it for the Winter.

quote:
Originally posted by country
I found my answer on this site. Fill a bucket (I used 3 gallon) about 1/3 full of water. Smear some peanut butter about 1" tall right above the water line. Make a ramp from the ground to the top of the bucket. Wait for them to fall in. To spruce it up, use a soda bottle with a hole drilled in the center of the cap and the bottom. Run a wire through it and attach it to the top of the bucket. Smear peanut butter around the center of the bottle. When the mice try to get on it, the bottle spins and they end up swimming. Over the past two winters, I've caught around 12-16 mice in my sheds this way, and have never had on in any of my equipment.
That was my post!:D Don't know if I mentioned it or not in that message, but I'm a trapper and nuisance wildlife control operator. Tim's correct: You don't know where the animal is going to die. They go into a wall or under the shed, you're going to put up with the smell and flies. You really don't want to use poisons at all because, as IronPony said, it gets passed up the food chain. Not good stuff. I have used antifreeze in buckets in the winter, but the mice aren't getting consumed and it's disposed of properly. Just make sure pets can't get at it. These buckets can also kill chipmunks too, so only use them in a closed shed--not outside. Skunks are excellent mousers too, if you don't mind them. If one or a pair are under your shed, try and leave them. They'll get used to you. If you have a dog that is going to try and chase it and startle it and cause it to spray, then that's another story.

Just an empty bucket with peanut butter cookies works too. Learned that on the job 4-5 years ago when they got into our tool room where I kept extra winter gear. Ya gotta kill them every morning yourself though. Foreman never did figure out what happened to his "pets" as the nerd hand feed them peanut butter cookies.}:) Few years ago got a couple in the house by leaving the shop door open after taking a tractor out, bought some sticky traps and had all 3 in two days.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • a_sannine
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts