Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How does a Hydro Trans work?

drewa10

For those of you that are much smarter than I, in layman's terms can you tell me how a Hydrostatic Trans works? I'm sure the principles are all the same but my question is for a newer Cub Cadet....:O.... It is much slower than is once was and I wonder if they have a valve or? that controls the speed? Should the fluids be changed on a Hydro Trans? I'm sure they all operate the same and I'm curious. Thanks for the help!

Check your belt tension from engine to transmission. The tension pulleys are made some times from plastic and they break or seize causing the transmission to act funky.

• 4 weeks later...
On my Regent, the set screw on the speed control lever, where it attaches to the transaxle, came loose, allowing some slop when changing directions. Since the lever bottomed out before it could move the shaft all the way, it couldn't reach full speed. It was hard to see, since there isn't much movement to start with, and the set screw is hidden.