Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wiring Harness for B 212

adamf203

I had a local simplicity dealership order me a new ignition and wiring harness. I got a call today saying that the ignition is in, but while the computer system shows that the harness is available, in actuality, it is not. The dealer said that the best bet is to try and make my own. Has anyone made there own wiring harness for one of these tractors? Where can you purchase the electrical plug to fit the rear of the ignition? I'm not electrically inclinded, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, ADAM

I made my own, but didn't use the connector. The swithch I had was able to take the 1/4" spade connectors. From there it was easy to run the wires where they go from each terminal. When several run together, tape or wire tie them together. then tape or wire tie them to the throttle cable. Here's a picture or two
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_2176_Switch_detail.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_2190_Smaller.JPG[/img]

I know that the ignition is labeled with letters (B,C,D etc) does it matter which wire is wired to the specific letter? I.E., does the ampmeter have a specific letter, etc?

You must wire the ignition switch per the wiring diagram! The terminals on the switch have different functions and miswiring could easily fry the mag coil!! There are a couple of different circuits on the ignition switch, 1) Mag coil grounding this is the engine shut-off circuit, 2) starter activation and 3) charging and battery power to accessories. You can certainly use the same color wire but it is much easier to color code the wires to help identify the wire's purpose. For example the ignition kill circuit is usually a white wire. Red is almost always used to indicate either a battery positive or an ignition switched battery positive. Black is usually indicative of a ground circuit. Hope this helps and by all means lookup the wiring diagram before rewiring your B!

Reed makes a vital point. Be sure of the post you are using or you will kill a magneto coil. Get the wiring diagram. If I had it in a form I could post I would. I admit I should have used different color wire, I just didn't have any thing but a roll of green that day. I spent a lot of time making sure before I put any power to it.