Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
305SS

loosing power

305SS
Thanks for letting my be in the club, I have a great love for these tractors. I have one that is being a pain in the butt. My 7016 B&S it will run great for half an hour to forty-five mins, then loose power and fall on its face. I`ve cleaned fuel system from tank to disassembled carb. I`ve replaced points and condensor, coil, fuel filter. Had engine out four times, one time set timing with fluke meter. Witch cause power to drop way off, but still worked. So I set coil back were it was, same thing looses power in said amount of time. Any ideas??

PeppyDan
Try to move the condenser to the top of the engine instead of under the points cover. My Onan had the same problem and determined that the condenser was getting too hot. Dan

Al
Hi, Is the muffler aligned with the hole in the side of the hood? If not the hot exhaust blows out past the carb and a problem like this results. Usually occurs when it is hot out and has black smoke as a symptom. Are you running "gasohol"? We see this problem with the alcohol mix fuel a lot. Al Eden

305SS
I`ll try moving the condenser from under cover and see what happens this week end. The exhaust is lined up with exit hole in the hood. Thanks for any and all help:D

powerking_one
Brian, When the engine starts to die, do you notice a change in the exhaust tone/bark? If it begins to make a wooshing sound, then you could have a valve problem. One club member chased similar symptoms and the head was loose (also check for a partially blown head gasket). It could be carbon buildup on either valve stem or the valve tappet clearance is too tight. When the engine heats up, the valve clearance by design gets smaller. Tom (PK).

305SS
Tom Thanks for the info I think this winter the engine is coming out, and being gone throught. I might try the electronic pick up they sell for about $15.00. My thought was that it has some thing to do with the valves. Do you know any body that has timed these engine with a dail indicator or degree wheel.