Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RodStayner

Sunstar mowing problem solved

RodStayner
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post a couple weeks ago about a problem with my Sunstar 16 HP PTO. I adjusted the clutch to .018 (book said .015 to .020) and it has worked fine ever since. The only other problem I found is that the previous owner let it sit outside a while (covered with a tarp at least) and he hardly ever cleaned out the area where the mower drive belt runs. This was packed with grass and mud, and I cleaned and scraped all of it out. Fortunately it wasn't rusted too bad yet, and I gave it a coat of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer to protect it for this mowing season. I plan on taking the deck off this winter and painting it. (Might do it before then and just mow with my Craftsman---but then again the Simplicity does a much better job even with dull blades!)

dlcentral
I think that junk getting packed in the mower deck belt area is one of the biggest problems with these mower decks. Not only does this junk have the potential for causing belt slipping, but if it is not cleaned out it starts to stink and rots out the mower deck. I refer to it as a rolling compost bin. Does anybody have any ideas for making some rubber boots to keep the crud out. I'm thinking about cutting up some old innertubes to make boots and shrouds to cover the gaps.

dlcentral
You're right..! The decks do get packed in the belt area. I ran my deck last year without the covers, but that makes me uncomfortable. Making boots is certainly one solution. However, I am trying to devise a way of making the covers easier to remove so it's not as time consuming fooling around with all those small bolts. I'll post if and when I ever find the time to tackle that project..