Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Smaller Trans pulley for 2010?

pungo

Anyone here fool around with the Transmission drive pulley to increase or decrease speed? Would putting a smaller diameter pulley on mess anything up other than belt length?

I wouldn't think anything else would be messed up. the only problem might be because of less contact area between belt and pulley you might get some slipping, but I doubt it. I see you are thinking of going faster (smaller pulley). Are you thinking of racing, or just a bit faster for some other reason? Let me know what you do, I love to play with stuff like that too. Steve

Smaller on transmission and larger on motor makes it go faster. I had a yeoman once that went40mph with a 3" pulley on rearend and a 5" on the motor

Hey Todd, what did you clock that thing with? And, were you driving it at the time? Not sure 40 mph on a yeoman would be something I would want to do! Steve

My LL had a 6 inch on the tranny when I got it. Noticabley faster then the 725 with an 8 inch but no racer. Now have a 10 inch on the 725 for tilling, too slow to do anything else with. that Yeoman must have better steering then any Simplicity I have, no way would I do 40 on any of them.

A Variable friction clutch setup is the right choice to increase speed without loosing performance. like a snowmobile The system must stay in "low gear" until the engine is producing maximum horsepower and the sled is well underway. Once the engine rpm is at peak horsepower, the primary pulley squeezing force begins to close the primary pulley and move the belt into a higher ratio. At the same time, the secondary pulley responds to the decreased power requirement (the power needed to accelerate the sled is less than the power required to get the unit into motion). The secondary pulley reduces the belt squeeze which allows it to open up and let the belt ride further down in the pulley. this type clutching will give constant power to the load without changing gears manually ..Closest thing to a Hydro there is.

i belive a 6" pulley was stock and the 8 & 10" pulleys where used to slow the tractor down for ground ingageing implements. i have two 2010's both with same engine and a 6" pulley, but one is faster than the other. i have no idea why ?.
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
They take the 8 inch pulley off and put on a 10 inch on the b10 I thought for tilling...The other way would speed it up...