Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
prestcpa1

Electric Front PTO

prestcpa1
I'm fairly new to the club - I've been reading for the forums for over year but havn't posted much yet. Anyway, I have a Simplicity 3210 (990-569 w Briggs engine 243431) that came with a snow thrower that has the double pulley mounting bracket for a front pto. I've been thinking about buying one of the manual front pto's that I've seen for sale, but thought it would be cool to mount an electric pto on the front. Is it possible to mount an electric front pto on the older models without alot of modification? What king of electric pto should I look for? Do you see many of these for sale used? And the big question - does anyone have pictures of these already or a parts drawing? Thanks, Phil

RayS
I don`t see how there would be enough room to mount either a manual or a electric front clutch with out removing the grille and leaving it off. The crankshaft sticks out the grille and the grille is pretty close to the engine.

PhanDad
You might be able to add a spacer to the crankshaft so that the compression face of the new style electric PTO is outside the grill far enough for the entire unit to clear. Two issues come to mind immediately: 1) Can you find an electric PTO thin enough in cross section 2) How to mount the anti-rotation clip (to the grill). However, on a FDT, you don't need a front PTO, a solid pulley is all you need - the clutch is built into the double pulley idler setup on FDT's. RBT tractors using the front double pulley system need a front PTO. There's a FDT hitch on Ebay right now that would do the job: http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Allis-2-Pully-Snow-Blower-Hitch_W0QQitemZ260485976937QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca62c9369 The ad says it for a 3300 etc (RBT's), but hitch pictured is a FDT hitch.

wilm169
The problem I see with putting an eletric clutch on the tractor is the pullies will be over sized on the clutch and run the blower way to fast. From a 4 1/2" pully to a 6".

Al
Hi, These blowers REALLY throw snow when they are run a lot faster. Back in 1969, I made a drive and sped mine up about 50% and when the snow was kind of wet, could drive down the sidewalk and paste the snow up in the trees across the street about 15 ft above the ground. Much farther than the factory drives. Belt alignment may be a problem, but anything is possible with enough effort. If you turn the clutch around (with the pulley to the rear) you will need a different clutch. The links to the rotor are installed on an angle and when the clutch is reversed, they are pushing instead of pulling and under a shock load, will likely "buckle up and break". The new Warner Mag Stop, or the Ogrua would be the clutch to use. Al Eden

prestcpa1
Well, I don't want to cut a hole in it and after reading Bill's comment I went and had a closer look at the Snow Blower and Hitch. I think it might have the clutch built into the double pulley hitch. I'll dig my camera out and take pictures of it to post. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

prestcpa1
Thanks for the image Ray! Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what I have. Any idea what size of pully should be on my engine for this? I tried to loade my picture below with the paper clip like the instructions said, but I'm not sure that it loaded - hopefully it's there when I post this.

prestcpa1
It has a couple of springs on it that I can't tell where they should connect - does anyone have a clear picture of where these should connect to? Thanks!