Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BLT

Coronet Question

BLT
My neighbor has a 2000 + vintage Coronet with a Kohler CV14D engine. Everything is OK except at times when he/me corners, the engine will want to sputter and die and then come to life. I thought it might be some water in carb bowl and told owner to try some Heet to drive moisture out. He did, it didn't. Anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance.

steve-wis
I have a Coronet with the Tecumseh engine. I bought it with a blown rod. I overhauled it and now cut my grass with it. If I go over rough ground, or turn at a decent speed, it will want to sputter until I stop or slow down and then it smoothens out. I am suspecting that even tho I set the float per the book, it is set too low. I am going to raise it a bit and see what happens. I have run carb cleaner thru it, both spray and gas additive. I also put new jets in the carb at the time of overhaul. At first I just blamed it being an injun engine, but it is annoying so I hope this works. Does your neighbors do it when being bounced on rough ground also or just when turning? Might it be something electrical, like a wire being shorted when you turn? Steve

Al
Hi, Something you might look at is the seat switch. Many of the later switches fit up into a recess in the foam in the seat cover. Since they are centered in the seat, when turning and hillsides, they sometimes drop out and the engine will stutter and come back. If the tractor was new and under warranty replacing the seat would be the repair. If this is the type of seat switch it has, one can take the switch out and check the recess. If there is excessive clearance, a piece of foam added above the switch will close the gap up and the seat switch will still function fine, but not be so sensitive. DO NOT try to disable the seat switch, or put so much foam in that the switch is partly actuated by the foam when no one is on the seat. Just take some of the space out above the switch. As the seat gets older, the covering gets harder and sometimes very little weight shift is enough to cause the switch to actuate. Again, DO NOT OVERFILL THE RECESS. Al Eden

JeffNemes
Could also be debris, not water, floating around in it - time to pull the bowl. The other thing that can be hard to find is the choke not opening all the way after warmup on models with the "thermo-spring" - replacement kit now changes back to "normal" style.

steve-wis
Well, as it most often happens, I was going to mow the lawn today (66 degrees, last of the warm days for a while) and then pull the carb and adjust the float, but I mowed for over an hour and it ran flawlessly. Only difference is it was cooler outside than usual. I think the thing healed itself!! Anyway, not going to mess with it till it acts up again, if it ever does. Steve