Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Willy

I struck oil Up date on the B-10

Willy
I got my parts Thursday and put the motor together Friday I toke it out today and worked the heck out of it using the vac,kind of a mean break in but the Iron Maiden worked like a champ. I filled it with 5w30 Havoline synthetic used three tanks of gas and it didn't use a bit of oil. I would of had to add at lest 3/4 of a qt before the over haul. I love when a plan come together. Well the B-10 struck oil,or I should say sucked oil. It's been using a little,right along,but started gulping it lately,the last time I started it, it started out smoking then a light blue fog clouded up the garage. I figured the old gal was trying to tell me something. I tore it down,it had a little carbon around the valves. The intake and exhaust was full of oil,thus the smoke. The piston and cyl wall are in excellent shape,very little taper.Everything else is super,so I'll just re ring it and call it good. My local parts store was able to order all the parts so I can start putting it back together Thursday. This is my leaf vacuuming and snow throwing tractor so I think I had better rush on this job.

Willy
Rod I ordered a new breather so that should take care of the mesquito fogger. I checked Crank and rod well within limits,very little taper in cyl wall. I'll clean and lap the valves and adjust. These old cast iron monsters are one tough chunk of iron.

Brettw
Until you set off the smoke detector in the house (patio door open on a nice summer day) You ain't seen spit. That's when I got the hint: time to get 'er fixed.