Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord rear end repair

orangebgood

I have an older round hood late 60's Landlord. I put it in gear last week and heard a small click. Now the differential rotates but not the wheels. I have some play in the BGB but that and the tranny seem to be OK. I have a spare but I'm hoping to repair the original. Can someone tell me I'm getting into?

This link should help you out with the BGB, [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=35&cattitle=Bevel[/url] And this with the rear end, [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=18&cattitle=Transmissions[/url] Good luck with your project.

You most likely sheared the key that locks the left side gear to the axle, or sheared the pins that lock the right side gear to the right side hub. You will need to pull the right side hub and look inside to find out what has really broken. It is likely something relatively easy to repair.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting at it this weekend. This one is one of my snow pushers. I remember several years ago my daughters walking ankle deep in the white stuff on Halloween.

You are in for a lot of fun, if you like to play with greasy tools and parts. Nothing is impossible, you need basic tools for the whole job. You may learn a few new words or, at least combinations of a few old ones. Remember, if you think it difficult to take apart and repair it, REPLACE bearings and seals while you are there.

The beauty of the old 3-speed is that they put the failure points outside. Mine did that when I got it and it was just the six(I think) pins on the afore mentioned gear. The trick is getting them out. DO NOT TRY TO REINFORCE them. Some pullers have suggested puting an inner pin inside the normal pin, BAD idea. When you change the failure point you may make it be an internal part and nobody wants to have to open the main trans to replace a gear key. Worse yet axle tube. On mine I got lucky and there was enough space to drive the remnant pins into the hub far enough to put the new ones in. Next time will need to remove, but I don't force mine all that hard even when pushing the plow. While you have it apart, engine degrease everything(or parts washer) to inspect for deformation or wear. Treat accordingly. Remember where all washers and gears go in respect to each other. The hub holes should not be sloppy. If they are widened to allow the pins to wobble, have the hub re-drilled to the gear hole pattern off-set between the holes. The slop in the holes will promote premature pin shear. The hub metal drills easily, the pins do not. Just my 2c

check and make sure the outter coller that holds the hub on isnt loose. i had a allen set screw loosen up and the coller slid out some. causing the hug gear to slide out a little and the tractor would'nt move. mine was a easy fix.... sm01