Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone tried........Pics added

steve-wis

I just got done removing the rear wheels from my yeoman 616 that I will use for snowblowing this winter. I put two 3/8-16 bolts thru the holes for weights, with just enough going thru for a washer and nut. They were 2" bolts, and on the other side (outside of the wheel) I have a nut against the rim,then a flat washer, then another nut all jammed tight. Now for the unknown part.......I poured both rims full of redi-mix concrete. I did rub the rims good with oil first. I am hoping, since the rims taper bigger to the outside face, that when it is hard I will be able to remove the concrete weights and re-install them as needed. Anybody else done this? I know I should have asked first, but the sun came out and I had to get out and play,,,,,,, Steve Well, I tried to knock the weights out of the rims too quickly and one started to crack, so I decided to just mount them for the winter and mess with them next spring. So, I don't know how much each weighs, or what they will look like when I do get them out, but here are a few pics of them after pouring. Steve

I have not tried it but it definitely sounds logical to me. I have thought of doing that my self but I came across some free wheel weights. Good thinking and let us know how it works out.

Interesting idea... how much weight do you think this will add? I have 2 50lb wheel weights on the tractor now and it works well enough. My uncle always said to fill the tires with anti-freeze to add additional weight.

I will weigh them when the concrete dries, but I don't think there is more than 15-20 lbs. per wheel. The deep pocket in the rim is only 5 3/4 inch dia and is probably only 3-4 inches deep. I filled them out to the outer bead area. Will know tomorrow and will take pics too. Steve

I have a pair that came with a tractor.. they used the rim as mold and carriage bolts that meet up with the four holes. I have plenty of steel ones if anyone wants the cement ones for free just email me..

Well, got a few pics of the rims full of concrete today, but it was below freezing for a while last night so the concrete didn't set up very good yet. I decided to not try to knock out the weights till they cure better, so will be a day or two before I can weigh them and get pics of just the weights. That being said, so far so good! Steve

Steve, I would like to see some pictures. I'm thinking about making weights for my 525. I was thinking about using Saran wrap to make the form in the dish of the rim. My only concern is the fact that the rear width is only 27", the same as the width of my snowblower. I do have the rear weight for the tractor so I'm not going to fill the tires with liquid just yet. I would rather make my own weights first.