Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ignition Gremlins

rlthorburn

My reliable old 9020 started displaying carburetion issues earlier this year. Things like being hard to start, requiring the choke to be partially closed to run, poor run-up, dying under a load, and being plain flakey. After cleaning the fuel system and the carb - same issues. Being sure it was a hopelessly plugged idle tube, I replaced the carb with a new one. (BTW, a decent source for Zenith Carbs is: http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATS&Product_Code=ZEN13262&Category_Code=ZEN). Half the price of other places and I received it in 2 days. I put the new carb on with much anticipation. The tractor started and ran…the same. So now I am fishing in the ignition pond. I have traced good supply from battery (new), through the switch, the points (fairly new), and to the coil (new but suspect). I can spin the engine with the starter and get good spark at the plugs sitting on the manifold when they are gapped at .020. But no spark if the plugs are gapped at .030 or more. So I am thinking the coil is flat even though it is fairly new. Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks.

Hello. You may want to check the timing on your 9020. I have had similar issues in the pastand found that if the timing is off just a bit, it can cause problems

I had similiar situation with my Sears GT18 with a 18HP Onan and it turned out to be the condensor and not the points or coil. I luckily had a friend with a known good coil and it did the same. Being the condensor is the only thing I couldn't check completly I changed it and all was fine.

Great! I have another condenser that I will try, and I will look at the timing. Regarding the timing, the shop books I have aren't real clear as to how to line up the marks. I have 1 line across the front of the crankshaft, and a line on a tang attached to the engine. Are they to be lined up exactly, or am I missing something? Thanks again. RT

There should be a timing flange on the rear of the engine and a mark on the clutch rotating group. These marks should align with a timing light while running. This is 20 degree's BTDC which is what is called for.

How did you find anything on a carb? I went to that site and then to the fuel system/fuel injection and there is nothing mentioned about a carb or a search capability. larry

A fairly easy way to set the timing using a 12 volt test light and aligning the marks on the front clutch and the tab on the engine is explained in the operators manual for the 9020. This manual is available for download on this site if you go under the simplicity tech, manuals search. You will need the model # of your tractor.Let me know if you cannot get it. I will try to post it here for you,but I am not very good with computers!

A good field check for the condenser is how the points are burned.If they are burned evenly, likely the condenser is ok. Uneven burn always points to a bad condenser.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the tips everyone, a new condenser and timing set and she runs as strong as ever. now all I have to do is replace the bearings on the clutch, and hopefully it will run much quieter.