Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Vassal

Seized Main Jet Nozzle - UPDATED !DOOM!

Vassal
Title says it all. Stopped there and need some suggestions.... After reading info here, I carefully parallel ground a flat blade screwdriver so it fit snug in the nozzle grove. I was very careful not to overheat the tip while grinding and made sure the sides were ground so I would not damage the threads in the carb body. On the first and only attemot to losen the main nozzle, the blade jumped out of the nozzle and it looks like a tiny piece of the nozzle had broken away. This is where I stopped, I don't want to destroy the carb body. UPDATE: I finally got back to this little project and despite my best effort to go slowly, and being patient, I managed to mutilate the carb body anywaywah. Sad, considering that it went well with the lefty bits, as most of the nozzle came out. Eventually though, I managed to drill right through the nozzle seat while attempting to get a stubborn chunk of the thread 'nub' out of there. So, she's a paperweight nowsm00. So, before I put up a carb want ad in the classifieds, do you guys know if any of the carbs from the smaller 10 or 12hp cast iron engines will work on the 16hp engine (just hoping to increase my odds of scoring a good carb).

briggsetc
You are probably better off finding another carb body at this point but having said that... Briggs makes a tap kit part # 19245 that consists of a 1/4 x 32 and 5/16 x 32 tap to clean up nozzle threads for the small and large flo jets. They had a lot of sealing problems at the nozzle seat from old age, corrosion so there is about a 50/50 chance that body will be leak free after repair. If you have usable gaskets I think you should clean it the best you can and make sure you pass small wire into any passage you can see then assemble and try it. Might get lucky. Gary

Roy
I've had good luck using WD-40 to loosen a nozzle after soaking in carburetor cleaner failed. Won't hurt to try PB Blaster, Kroil, or the pot of vinegar as you have nothing to lose.

Simpleton7016
I swear by left handed drill bits. You should have seen me and BLT trying to get one of those free earlier this summer. I was holding with all my might and he was twisting with all his might. Then we switched, tried heat, etc, etc. We moved it a few turns, but ultimately, we garbeled it up. After he left, I got out my handed reverse drill bits and it came out lickity split. I didn't even screw up the threads or anything.

Burntime
Kind of a laurel and hardy thing huh:D:D:D Just teasing. I keep saying I am going to get some and still have not. Heck, I just finally picked up a small table top drill press after a year...

HubbardRA
I also messed up a carb while trying to get the emulsion tube out. Good thing to know is that the carbs from a 10 or 12 that have 4 bolts holding the fuel bowl on will work on the 16Hp. The thing you need to look at is which side of the carb the choke hooks up to so that it will match the setup on your tractor. Some hook up on the outside and others hook up on the back side of the carb. I am currently running two of the smaller 3 bolt carbs on a 10 Hp and a 12 Hp engine. I have never tried one on a 16 Hp. I would expect it to significantly impair top speed power on the 16 Hp, because of the smaller size.

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
The thing you need to look at is which side of the carb the choke hooks up to so that it will match the setup on your tractor. Some hook up on the outside and others hook up on the back side of the carb.
I have a 4 bolt two pc flojet carb with the choke lever on the outside, it connected right up to the choke cable on my 7013. I really don't think the location of the choke lever matters. I bought a brand new 4 bolt carb from Sandy Lake about 2 years ago for $118.00, you might want to check with them. BTW I would guess that most of us have experience ruining at least one carb body in our careers! John U

Vassal
Thanks for the ideas and the sympathies guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one to goof this up:I .
quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
lefty bits....bad idea, Who gave you that dumb idea?
Erik, I hope you don't think I have any regrets using the left handed drill bits, I still think it's a great idea for stuff like this. I only blame myself for getting a little impatient and the fact that they were the sharpest damn drill bits I've used in loooong time! It was almost comical when I felt the sudden 'yank' of the drill as the bit went through, I didn't even have a chance to think 'OH CRUD'!
quote:
Originally posted by briggsetc
You are probably better off finding another carb body at this point but having said that... Gary
I was thinking some of these things are simply hopeless at some point regardless of one's effort's and there's little to lose in trying. On a few occasions, I have given up on stuck tubes in motorcycle carbs, but in those situations a stuck tube doesn't keep one from disassembling and cleaning/adjust the carb. Oh well, live and (try to) learn.