Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How common is this problem & parts info again

Corncountytractors

How common is this problem. The adjusters on my deck for my 3416S broke. Had one on my other deck for my 66 Landlord do the same thing last year. And does anyone know what these parts are for. They came in a box of Simplicity parts. The one side is around 2"1/8 and the other with the point and hole is around 2"3/4. I would greatly appreciate any help or info. Thanks, BOB

I've seen quite a few broken adjusters. When I level a deck I've often had to use heat to get many of them freed, then wire brush the threads so they are clean, and use lots of anti-seize when reassembling.

Hello Bob, The adjusters are used to lower or raise the front edge of the deck so the leading cutting edge of the blades are at the best height relative to the cutting edge at the rear of the blade . Think of it like a helicopter rotor on take off vs level flight. The pitch of the mower blades effects the cut.The factory manual I have says for best results the leading tip of the center blade should be about 1/4 " higher than the trailing tip of the two side blades. I have several mower decks 42 and 48 and on the 48 the front rocker arm did not line up like it should to the adjusting yoke ends on the bail assembly. Like this when I bought it new. It was in a bind when you tryed to pin the yoke to the rocker. I took a bar clamp pulled and tighted down on rocker arm ends until they aligned with the yokes. That was in 1971 and its never being a problem,ie, no breaks.Also the manual on this site (42 rotary mower mfg#990575) may help explain. Hope this helps. Larry. Those pins are like mine for the yard cart.