Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

K341 Governor ?'s

Brent_Baumer
I have a 916H w/ a Kohler K341 single cyliner engine. It sounds like it is running too fast at full throttle with no load and like it idled too fast under no load. I check the RPM's w/ a 8cyl. tach. assuming my math is right, I am running about 4000 RPM under no load, full throttle, and about 2000 RPM no load at idle. Too fast. Questions, I have to move the high speed stop pretty far counter clockwise to max out at 3600 RPM, so much so that the throttle lever is not even close to full forward. Also, the governor spring is extremely loose when in the "factory" positions (2nd hole down on speed control bracket, 3rd hole up on arm bracket). This basically gives me idle and full throttle. It is very difficult to get it "in-between". I moved the spring down 1 hole on the speed control bracket and it helped some. Finally, when under load, full throttle seems fine for mowing and tilling, and RPM's don't sound "screaming" (I have not checked the actual) even at the 4000 RPM no load setting, and at 2000 RPM idle, no load, it seems like it barely has the power to move the tractor once I engage the hydro so I don't really want to slow the idle down much more. Should I: 1. Mess with the bracket hole positions some more? 2. Put the high speed stop back at 4000 RPM since it slows down under load and works great? 3. Move the high speed stop at 3600 RPM so as not to blow the engine? 4. Reduce the idle speed via the carb screw? My goal is not to run the engine at too high of RPM's, get better control from the throttle lever with a large range of movement and still maintain power for mowing and tilling. Any suggestions? Just seems like I don't have good throttle control since range of motion is so little and spring so slack. Thanks, Brent

dlcentral
If the throttle lever moves only a little,sounds like the gov is bad inside.OR it's not adjusted properly. Thats a big job to replace, as it's the last thing to come out of the eng if its bad.When you rev. eng up put your finger on the shaft beforehand and see if it wants to close the throttle?