Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Difference between lift kits?

mbsengineer

I looked at the part lists for rear lift kit 1690404 (for the 7100 and 7000 series) and 1690045 (for the 3200, 3300 and 3400 series) and the main parts (ie. the lever itself, the collars and most of the other stuff) is the same. However, the cable assy. has different part numbers, so I'm wondering if they are different enough that one can't be used on the other tractor model? Therefore, basically my question is ... can a "lift kit" from a 3200/3300/3400 be used on a 7000/7100 without modification? I'm looking at this one specifically to use on my 7012. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190342145323&_trksid=p2759.l1259 Thanks!

I believe the difference is that the 3400 and earlier used a simpler, non-adjustable cable, while the 7000 and 7100 had a cable with a threaded end so you could adjust the yoke for depth. I wouldn't think the length would be different as the 7000 and 3400 used the same basic frame, it was the 7100 that was fairly different, even then I think the rockshaft location relative to the rear lift was unchanged. Unfortunately I'm not at home so I can't check the tractors to be sure.

Not sure if this helps but here's my $.02= I swapped the rear lift off my dead 7016 and installed onto my 3410 and things don't seem right. This is my first experience with this so I might be missing something, but it seems the cable length is wrong and it didn't seem to line up correctly where it attaches to the rear lift arm. I ended up using a shoulder bolt to allow the cable to bolt onto the lift arm aprox. 1/2" further outboard. Needless to say, I'd like to learn more about this too.

I have both types of cables NOS and will measure them when I'm home Friday. I don't see any reason that as long as the complete assembly is swapped between the two that it shouldn't work. There were very few changes from the 3400 to 7000 series, frame length did not change, maybe the rockshafts are different?

Chris - I'll be interested to hear what you find out. The guy selling this kit said he was pretty sure it would work on my 7012, and he'd take it back if not ... but I'd still be out shipping both ways, so I'll just wait to hear your verdict for the next purchase. Thanks!

I have swapped lift cables back and forth from on the RBTs. The only difference is the adjuster yoke on the newer set ups. But the total distance from eye to eye is about the same.

If you look at the 1690404 parts diagram it shows the cable as being separate from the rear lift clevis, this is so the depth can be adjusted using two stop nuts. This style of cable is the one in the top of my picture.

The cable on the bottom is from the 1690045 kit. The max length of both sytles of cable is about 42 inches. It seems there are about 5 different kits used on RBTs. I believe the distance from the rockshaft to the rear lift hitch is the same on all large frame RBTS (except 300/400 AC.) The main differences on these kits is the style of rear lift hitch, different belt guides, and differnt styles of cables. I have had 7000 series tractors with both the 1690404 kit and with the earlier kit. Both work fine.

I actually used a lift from a 410 and made my own cable with some cable purchased at a local hardware store and a couple clamps. I had to shim some attachments to make them fit the larger tube on that one. It is installed on my AC716H. I also have a couple of the lifts from B series tractors and I plan to install one of those on my AC713S. You can basically switch them around however you want with a little engineering.