Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
merlinct7

17GTH-L Hydro Control

merlinct7
I picked up a 17GTH-L the other day. It's in fine shape, but the hydro is great in reverse, not so much going forward. After changing fluid/filter to the good Simplicity stuff it was still slow. On inspecting the linkage I found that the cam roller was not moving fully forward. In reverse, it looks like this:

However, full forward looks like this:

With the control lever full forward, I can still manually rotate the cam a bit, as you can see in this shot of the control rod assembly:

However, after cleaning and shooting a lot of WD-40, the cam roller is still not where I think the it should be, that is fully to the left and all the way down. There's no play at the front of the control rod, and I assume that the spring is supposed to move the cam fully forward (If so, it doesn't seem strong enough to do so) but even if it did, it seems like the roller still won't get to where it needs to be. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. Any thoughts? Thanks! Bob

Burntime
I shimmed mine with some additional washers which helped. Also, the arm you move to engage it has probably worn. There is a sqauare keyway type at the bottom of the hydro arm...Mine is warn, but I found a donor. Its only been 5 years and I am finally going to do it this year when I mount the blower. Does it have kinda a catchup when driving? That is what mine does...about 85 percent then goes 100% By the way, I did not catch the arm stuff, BLT came over and schooled me:D

merlinct7
I'll crawl under tomorrow, but I'm thinking the lever-to-control connect will be fine, as this seems to be a very low-hour tractor and there doesn't appear to be any play at all. It doesn't seem to catch up either. Just doesn't get to where the hydro is fully engaged going forward. Maybe shimming is the trick (or replacing the spring with a new one).

merlinct7
Just read the post in Tech Tips which seems to pretty much cover the bases. Going to first check out the control arm and link to see if it's buggered somehow, per Burntime's suggestion, then if need be disassemble/clean lube the whole shebang (which is probably a good idea anyway). I think I've got a couple of extra control arms someplace where as usual I won't be able to find them.

merlinct7
Went through the whole linkage today, cleaned and lubed. It turns out that there IS adjustment possible, in the control rod guide spring cage, as the long side plate is slotted, and where you set the cap screw that attaches the guide to the cam makes all the difference.

I noted that it was initially set all the way back in the slot. Moved it all the way forward and presto, full lever travel. The roller is now where it ought to be at full forward.

While I was at it I reversed the roller itself as it had developed a groove in the plastic. Now I've got great forward movement, and the clean and lube gave me fingertip control of the lever. Very slick now....