Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

AC 310 Kohler 10hp starting/charging issue???

sammiefish
My 310 (breakerless ign) started showing symptoms of hard starting a couple weeks ago. I have not taken any voltage readings as of yet (my meter is still lost in boxes from the move) BUT... When I start the engine the Ammeter initially shows discharge while cranking (normal) then after starting it shows a + charge for a few minutes (I guess while the battery is recharging) then the ammeter needle gets back to "zero"... this all seems normal to me... but... When I try to start her lately, she cranks and cranks and may pop a bit but wont start... I do this until I notice a little bit of decreased cranking ability.. at this point I charge the battery with a charger. When I try to start now she will start. Also, when I charge the battery before I try to crank her over (when the engine is cold) she will start. Im thinking that somehow the charging system may not be fully charging the battery before the regulator backs the charging down??? Can anyone offer any comments or advice as to where or how to test what is going on here. (The spark plug is new and the gap is correct, the head bolts are torqued properly, the rings are a couple years old and no smoke) when she runs she runs good. new fuel pump... definately not gas starved)

BLT
Without voltage readings it's hard to say. You can can have loose or dirty battery connections or a battery that starting to turn south.

sammiefish
OK, that is helpful... the battery was new this year... I have been removing the + cable to charge the battery... (but i only started doing this after the symptom appeared, but maybe the connection was loose to begin with) and Im only "hand tightening" the terminal... so I'll clean and retighten the connections... Thanks, sometimes I can't see the forest through the trees.