Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7119 Hydrostat unit

MadMike

I have a small leak coming from the Hydrostat on my 7119. It appears to be coming from the input shaft (trunion). Looking at the parts manual, I see there's a lip seal and washer on this shaft. Is this a common area to develop a leak on these units? Also, is it possible to pull this shaft without removing the unit from the tractor? Thanks in advance. Mike

There is a shaft seal both on the input shaft at the pulley and at the other end at the charge pump. On mine, I removed the pulley on the input shaft and drilled 2 small holes in the shaft seal case (on opposite sides). A sheet metal screw can be screwed into this hole and a vise grips used on the screw with a prybar to remove the seal. Before installing a new seal clean the paint and rust off the shaft with fine emery paper. Oil the shaft and seal lip. Use something (such as the plastic bag the seal came in) to wrap around the shaft over the keyway to keep from cutting the seal lip. Tom