Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012V clutch problem.

cojo92

Im sickC of having to grind the gears every time i shiftB). but if i put the clutch all the way to the ground it stops but sometime...SOMETIMES...grinds not alll the time tho. and if i just put the clutch in a bit it stop quick. should i back the brake off a bit and go in more with the clutch rod?????? All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mike :D

Mike, That is a common vari-drive problem. Have you tried adjusting the belt stop on the clutch/idler pully? Raise (rotate belt stop counter clockwise)the front edge until it just clears the belt while in the running position. This should pinch the belt enough to stop it when you hold the clutch pedal completely down. If that does not help, you will need to go thru the belt adjustment procedure step by step. Good luck, Jim

Exactly what Jim said, you want the belt to come to a complete stop when the clutch is depressed, otherwise the belt is still spinning the rear pulley and the transmission gears are still turning. That would be the grinding you are hearing.

I have learned with my 3310V when you push the clutch you have to give it about 10 seconds then shift. I have the brake brake touching the belt just enough.(Belt guard) I guess with the vari-drive machinces thats the way it is. I have a 3210v and its the same way. I have been spoilled and run the hydros most of the time now. (7116 3410h 3416h)1996 Soveriegn
  • Like 1

Also if you'll let the tractor come to a complete stop before shifting out of the old gear and go directly to the newly selected gear the ground will stop the tranny from spinning so a smooth shift can be done. These machines are NOT meant to shift on the fly.
  • Like 1

Somewhere on this site is a setup for a brake that stops the driven pulley on a vario. The problem is that the driven pulley can continue to spin. Once stoped there is no grinding. Someone had helped me find that info on this site, but it was quite a while ago & dont remeber who. I had toyed with the idea of fabricating one for mine, but i havent used it in quite some time & plan to sell it & the additional vario parts i have.

Follow the adjustments that President Ray posted!:D I did that to my B-210 when I got it running and realized I couldn't shift it. After the adjustments it shifts smooth. Also as Dave said, come to a complete stop, getting in a hurry is how they get stuck in gear.;) I know I get in a hurry sometimes, and it doesn't help anything.B)