Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Can't get front wheel off

OrangeMetalGuy
Any suggestions on getting a stuck front wheel off (large frame)? I pull the set collar and the spacer off, but I just cannot get the bearing to even budge. Hit it with Blaster a few times and banged the he** out of it from behind with a rubber mallet. No way to put a puller on it that I can figure.

timflury

I did this to an old 637 Yeoman recently. Lots of PB Blaster every day for about a week, then I heated up the sleeve with MAP gas and used my impact gun to turn the big screw. If there were holes through the rim and a little space behind, it might work. Either way, try some heat on the bushing, it might break free.

BLT
Try a little heat around the inner race and shaft to see if you can loosen it up. It might get a little smokey but won't damage bearing.

HubbardRA
I had a collar that was stuck on one of my large frame tractors. I pulled the whole spindle loose, then blocked up the wheel with the axle portion of the spindle sticking straight up, and then used a drift and a "big" hammer to drive the spindle out of the wheel. Afterward I cleaned up the rust and burrs so that it went back together the way it should.