Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

60's Landlord

Brettw

Well, I might go to prison for what I think I just stole (read very reasonable). Mid 60's Landlord tractor in very good shape with an excellent shape 48" mower deck, and an excellent shape blower. Came with weights, chains, extra parts, belts, manuals etc. The tractor appears as though it has some type of variable speed setup on it, and therein lies the problem according to the PO. He pointed to what I would consider the input shaft into the transmission. He believes that part is "broken". What exactly might I be looking at here? Any issues that are "normal" for this kind of drive. I haven't even had time to check it out yet and I will post pics soon. My first foot dragger! ^

The alignment pins on the pulleys do ware off and make it not work right. Most all of the variables have the same parts and come up on ebay often

If the pulleys on the bevel gear box are not turning while engine is running, check the rear driveshaft yolk. and with engine off tighten set screw if needed. try that, cant right more Nyquil is getting to me..

Well, upon further examination, this may be a Sovereign. PO seems to think it is a 12 or 13 hp as it has been rebuilt recently. Tractor has been in the family forever, the Uncle worked at Simplicity in Port Washington. The mower deck is in unbelievable shape, better than any of my decks on the 7100 series, and I have 2 good ones. I will just have to dive into the vari drive and find out what isn't doing its thing.

I have attached a photo, it is sized correctly, and the site tells me it is uploaded to the server, yet it does not show up here, what's the deal?

One thing to look for the vari drive pullies is the 3 holes being egged out. Won't stop it from going but is very sloppy. Sounds like a good score.

Rear pulley on the vari drive wobbles all over the place, it does turn the shaft, but I am not sure it does under load. Wants to move forward, reverse, but just barely, and it does not appear to be the belt slipping. Don't have enough hands, feet and eyes to check it out all at once. Starts and runs excellent, all other pulleys seem to run true. I'll need to learn more about these drives to properly evaluate the problem.

Well, I finally got all of the manuals. It is a 3112 Sovereign. And it has complete parts and repair manuals, so I can see the exploded view of the vari drive. Hope to have 'er fixed in no time.