Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ideas/thoughts Needed

MPH

Stopped by a 'spot on the road' on my way to Anchorage a few days ago where the guy has an ever growing collection of farm equipment displayed. Learned he has a set of teeth for a dump rake, he also has a dump rake painted up for show. He'd part with the teeth for 100 bucks. As I need some such device to deal with my clover patches looking for thoughts on how it might work to replace my york rake on the 4040. Should the tines be held slightly off the ground? like with gauge wheels ?? We had one on the farm when I was kid, even though that's been a few days back, I don't recall the thing ever being moved from the trees it was parked by. Thanks for any info or pictures.

I used a dump rake when I was a kid. The teeth were not held above the ground, but scraped across it. The teeth are light so they didn't dig in, just rubbed on the ground. I rode the rake and raised the teeth with a foot lever when in the right place. By doing this in rows going across the field, windrows would be formed that were then picked up with a hayloader and loaded loose onto a wagon. Definately the old, hard way to put up hay. Not sure what you want to do with one, unless you are cutting your clover and want to bale it or store it in some way. A dump rake won't work the ground at all, it is meant to gather the mowed hay into rows for picking up. Steve

Yea Steve, raking the clover clean off the fields in the fall is what I'm after. Might make me up a J-halk for removing the raked piles and making hay stacks. When I quit this working stuff I'll feed it to some laying chickens all winter.

For you that will probably work. When I was a kid doing custom baling we had one farmer/customer who only had horses for power and his only rake was a dump rake and his only feed crop was sweet clover. It took forever to bale that stuff as compared to a side there was no conformity to the rows, stalks thick as your fingers, were all jumbled up, the pick up teeth would take slugs and the bales looked like junk if the knots would hold. Other then that it was fun.:o)

I agree, a dump rake doesn't work well if baling. We were using all horse-drawn equipment that was changed over to tractor power. The guy had an old farmall H, we would rake it, then he would pull the hayloader while I rode the wagon and moved the hay around. We used the old hay forks in the barn to pull it up into the mow, again using the H. I did this for a couple of years, then the guy started to have his hay custom baled. Lots of work, but a good and fun experience. Good luck with the clover! Steve

For clover that is usually short a landscape rake would probably work better of course you'd get other stuff but chickens would probably enjoy scratching thru that too

Have you seen the small side rakes they have now? Series of rake teeth mounted on a wheel ,and have several wheels mounted diagonaly to move clover into windrow ?

My Alsack and yellow sweet clover never seems to have a problem with being too short, my trouble is I'm tring to do real farm work with garden tractors.:O Have seen those little rakes Ron, still wish I had bought one when they first came out in Northern Tool for around 200 bucks. Only ones I've seen since are green and the paint added about 250 bucks. Don't really think they would do the clover but be fun to haveone for the lawn