Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
adamf203

Ball Joints B 212

adamf203
In putting my tractor back together, I saw that the gaskets on the ball joints were all worn out, and that the spindle arm was resting on the foot petal. I thought that I may have put them on wrong, but I checked the manual and my uncles 3212 and its right. Im thinking that the joints old and worn - the rubber bushings on them are almost all gone. I found the ball joints on Jacks Engine and was thinking about picking up 2 (35 each i think). Will new joints help to raise the spindle up off the petals and help improve the tightness of the steering? Is

JimDk
Adam, Do you have a lot of lost motion in your rod ends? If you do, new parts will fix it. As to the steering rod riding on the foot rest, I think both my working tractors ( HB-212 and B-210 ) do that. A little ugly, but does not hurt the operation of the tractor. Jim

Chris727
The rubber is long gone from most of mine. I agree with Jim, the drag link will tend to rub the footrest regardless of how good the rubber is.

dentwizz
You are unlikely to remove the drag from the pedal without penalizing your ease of steering. Do not forget, there is a large degree of articulation involved when it tracks the axle tilt.