Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tragu

Throttle lever

Tragu
When you mow I know that throttle should be full but what about fwhen you are off the machine for a few minutes,what about when you are plowing,towing,finally what about if you are just moving around your property where should the throttle be set for all these chores. I have just kept it at full cause I was under the impression that this helped with cooling. How long can you be off your machine with it running and not cause any damage to the motor. Thanx Doug

Tragu
So jim should I turn the idle down when it is stopped. I also heard that the throttle at full speed helps with colling is this true. Would iit have hurt anything cause even when just driving around a little I have used full throttle. Is it smarter to lower it down when not mowing blowing pulling or plowing. What is best for engine. Thanx Doug

JimDk
Doug,Full throttle is only needed when you are working your tractor hard.I like to use a higher gear and part throttle when doing light work or moving from job to job.This places less stress on the moving parts and uses less fuel.At today's gas prices this is a good thing. We have owned our B210 for nearly 20 years and have never had overheating problems operating it that way. Jim

JimDk
Doug,If you are not working your tractor hard,part throttle is fine.I often transport fragile things like grandchildren in third gear at 1/4 throttle with no problem. A few minutes at idle while stopped should also not harm your engine.For safety reasons you should not leave unattended machinery running if any other person is in the area. I know this has been discussed here before,but it is very important for engine cooling to keep debris cleaned out of your cooling fins. That's my 2 cents worth. Jim

Al
Hi Doug, Are you referring to your new tractor?? When mowing you should keep engine speed up to at least 3/4 speed. This isn't just for the engine but also to keep the hydro trans from over heating. If you have been doing alot of mowing don't ever just shut the engine off untill you run it for a few minutes at full speed and slowly slowing the engine down so that it can cool off somewhat doing this for about 3-5 min. then you can let it idle without hurting the engine or trans. Now if you are cruising around your yard you should have the engine speed at least 3/4 full and control your tractor speed with the trans setting. If you need to be off your tractor and feel that the tractor is in a safe place then you can run the thing untill it runs out of gas if you like as the engine with no load on it will cool itself off but when you run the trans and engine together then this is when the heat starts to build up so raise the engine speed accordingly. I hope this helps as with the new tractors they have different needs then the older ones. Good Luck, >>->happyjack<<-< P.S. Like Jim so stated about leaving your tractor unattended this is just something I try to avoid at all cost unless I am out in the middle of no where. I am not saying that I havn't done it but????

JimDk
Jack,Thanks for bailing out this old fogey.I forget after all these years of running my old bulletproof cast iron Briggs and gear drive that the new tractors require different operating procedures.Keep 'em cool and keep 'em running.Jim

Tragu
HappyJack My new tractor is gear not hydro. So when I have been working the ttractor I should slowly turn the throttle lever down If I turn it down all the way and cut off tthe key it backfires if i turn it down to a med. Idle it just goes off. In my manual it states to stop the engine in mid throttle any othe way could cause damage. In my Kohler manual it states that if I have one type it is to be stopped mid and another it is to be turned down all the way. I tried both and when it is down all the way it backfires. So I figure that I have the first type and the simp. manual was right. Would it hurt the engine if run full all the time to keep it simple I know when mowing and pulling this is what to do but even transporting is it okay. Sorry to ask questions so many ways but I want to have my Regent around as long as my Serf has been here Doug Thanx to everyone for having patience