Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RUMBLEFISH

I'm Stumped

RUMBLEFISH
All along I thought this was a Wards Tractor but some dont think so. I am new to this game so I assumed it was due to the lack of any decals nor was it ever painted. The guy I bought it off is rather old now and he said he bought it new in the 60's. The only reason I thought is was a Ward was the W on the grill. SO what is it a wards or allis chalmers early b-10. Can I look anyplace else that would tell me what it is? It has a 9hp 23d briggs engine 3speed if that helps. [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2f0cbrd.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/juclsz.jpg[/IMG]

SimpleTom
Early Montgomery Wards Garden Mark Squire.

Later Montgomery Wards Garden Mark Squire.

Neither are mine. Both were made by Simplicity. Neither had an emblem on the grill. Early B-10.

Note the emblem on the grill. Someone obviously painted a "W" on you emblem. You have a Allis Chalmers B-10. Tom

Chris727
I do also believe this tractor has been painted, the shade looks a little different from the factory color and your steering wheel spokes are yellow, none of them had yellow spokes from factory(at least from what I have seen.)

RUMBLEFISH
After really digging around with a flashlight I think it was repainted. I see a few much brighter yellow areas painted inside the engine area and under the stick shift area. The engine numbers are as follows Model 243431 Type 012302b Code 6509201 So what motor HP do I have?? And whats the difference between the early b-10 and the Big 10? Thanks for helping me out with this.

Storm7012
Early B-10's are a 9hp 23d and the big ten is like a landlord 101. It's a 10hp and so is yours. But yours could be a late B-10.....I think. The big ten was a one year tractor. Kinda of to make a big deal out of really having a 10hp engine. Right guys?

RUMBLEFISH
quote:
Originally posted by Killer_A-C
Thats a BIG TEN...
I think your right. Based on the year of the motor 65 that would make this a Big Ten. From what I gather if would be a B-10 if the motor was a 1966 the same year they introduced the B-12. Well now all I can say is I HAVE A BIG-10. And that makes me kind of happy so I can start to get the decals,seat,paint and all to do it up right. Thanks to all you pros for helping me out I really appreciate it.

nateb17010
i would like to see that emblem on the grill. is it paint or a decal? simple tom have you ever seen a emblem on a squire ever???? when I was looking for any info on the words i always wanted to know if they ever did.

RUMBLEFISH
quote:
Originally posted by nateb17010
i would like to see that emblem on the grill. is it paint or a decal? simple tom have you ever seen a emblem on a squire ever???? when I was looking for any info on the words i always wanted to know if they ever did.
Well nateb you ask and you shall recieve. Yes it is painted or silk screened. [IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/15gb5v5.jpg[/IMG]

nateb17010
if you look close on the rear end of the tractor sand off some of the pain if you find gold you have a words that's the only way i know of how to figure it out. but i also never seen one that new that was a words and with the AC sheet metal as far as i know they never use the AC sheet metal for other then allis. PS W could stand for wow, what a tractor, did the PO's name start with a W. we all know what the S stands for on simplicity tractors: super tractor lol good luck but sorry i would have to say "CLONE"

RUMBLEFISH
Well I have crawled and scraped paint off different areas and no gold paint to be found. Inside a few areas I see a brighter yellow but only just a few little patches. Why someone would go thru the trouble of removing all the decals and painting a W is beyond me but hey I've see worse done with old hot rods. So I'm sticking to a Allis Chalmers Big Ten and thats My story.:D

RUMBLEFISH
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Your engine was built around Sept 20, 1965 and that could be for a 1966 model year tractor being that late in the year.
The more I look into this I think it would be a Big Ten since the 66 model year intro of the B-12 and B-10 engines had been painted black. And I know this engine has not been painted at all.

Sign in to follow this