Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Vari speed

sammiefish
I cant say for sure... but it is my impression from trying to figure this out for my 310 variable that if it is a 3 speed variable (not shuttle etc) it should fit. a while back I was asking about BGB interchangeability for my AC 300 variable 3 gear... while not exactly your question maybe you can extract some useful information from the responses i received ...(pasted below) The 3012V should have the same gearbox as all of the long wheelbase varidrive FDTs. Not sure if Hydro models use a different cross shaft. The short wheelbase use a different cross shaft. So there are at least two FDT gearboxes. Then the RBT's have a variety as well. Not sure how different 6 speeds are from hydros. I think the AC 300-400 used the same box as the 3300 or early 3400. Not sure what was in the AC-built homelites. The gearbox could be replaced by any of the AC 400 series, Simplicity 3400, 7000, and 7100 series, but you would have to remove the cone clutch on the later models. If you want a complete BGB and rear with side plates and the correct mounting points for your seat deck, then you'll need one from another 300 with variable speed. The 400s did not have a varaiable transmission. A hydro has a totally different transmission, even the vickers and sunstrand gearcases do not interchange with each other. The only transmission that will work in a "variable" is another "variable." A regular 3 speed has too short of an input shaft and the shuttle has four forward gears and a planetary for reversal. Its kind of a pain to swap transmissions and gearboxes out from between the plates and the 300 and 400 plates are unique to those series, it sounds like you want to have something on hand for a quick change out, then the quickest way is to have from the BGB back able to be immediately swapped, that way all you have to do is disconnect the belts, linkages, and the four BGB bolts and driveshaft, then roll the other rear over and mount it up. Kris and MPH, yes the transaxle is standard Simplicity 3 speed or if this were a shuttle shift, the standard Simplicity 4 speed. I agree with Marty (MPH) that your transmission is stuck in a gear even though the shift lever is out of gear. The hint is that you can't move the shift lever through its full range. Follow Marty's suggestion or search the site for more on this.

MikeES
Brett, the answer is Yes...except. Is the 3112 a vari-drive now? If it is anything else, you will need to put in a different cross shaft in the BGB. You could take the 7016 BGB but that has a cone clutch on the other side, so it will not work with your present PTO on the 3112. Or use the 7016 BGB as is and convert the 3112 to a cone clutch dive.

Brettw
The 3112 is a vari speed. Rear pulley assembly has issues, wobbles, doesn't drive. I haven't even pulled it apart yet but I am assuming the keys and bushings, connections, etc are shot. There is a setup on e-bay for about $65.00 with shipping (so far) but I do not know if that is a fair price or not. Depending on amount of work and costs, I may be sending this whole unit to the classifieds, as I am a RBT guy myself, and this tractor, deck and blower is truly in great overall shape. Although I would like to get it repaired, the FDT guys might want to take this one under their wing. 8D

sammiefish
While Im not sure where your "wobble" is coming from... I bought the large bearings for the front and rear (big and little) pulley halves (that slide on the shafts) for $20 ea. from sandy lake Id love to see some pictures of what you are looking at...

Chris727
The 7016 was never available in a variable speed, did not exist. I beleive the 7016 was offered as a 3 speed, 6 speed, Shuttle, and Hydrostatic. The last Simplicity to use the variable drive was the 3300 Series. I would go ahead and find the problem before buying parts, might be something simple, or may be major enough to need the transmission split and someting internal repaired.

Brettw
So, the vari speed on e-bay, presented as a vari speed from a 7016 cannot actually be from that tractor. He has a pic of it, but it sounds like he does not actually know what he has. More reasons to hold off. Thanks for the input.