Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

Powermax Frt axle center bushing/bearings

sammiefish
Does anyone have any advice or comments on replacing the center bushing/bearing on the front axle of their Powermax tractor? It seems pretty straight forward assuming the axle itself is not completely destroyed are the bushings and bearings still available. This one seems to turn the whole axle a bit when turning the front wheels.

D-17_Dave
This is a very common issue for these tractors. I have done several repairs like this and seem to have the most success by installing new bushings, new grade 8 bolts, shimming the axle bushings with washers so a good tightening is possible, and weld in 1/4" flat plate inside the frame ahead of the engine compartment for a wear plate.

sammiefish
thanks so much... anyone know if the bushings etc are still available or does it require fabrication? i know i could just call and ask if they are available... i just dont like bothering Sandy Lake only to say, OK thanks for the info im still deciding whether to buy this beast ... not very much feedback on my 4040 questions... are they really that rare?