Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter mount tabs 16HP B&S

rpickle

Hi My "newer" Sovereign was picked-up with an electric starter (the style that a gear engages the flywheel) that had both mount ears broken off. A new starter was quoted at ~ $140. The end piece that is broken is not available anymore. Has anyone had success fabing a new end piece? Took the starter down to the local metal shop and they would not weld it. Any ideas? I am watching several on e-bay. How much difference is there between starters? I haven't counted mine, but seems like the standard number of teeth on the plastic gear is 16. Any advice or info is appreciated. Rick

If it is for a 326437 briggs I have bought a aftermarket starter that I haven`t had any problems with for around $50.00 plus shipping. http://home.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=briggs+starter+396306&_sacat=159912&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_sop=10&_odkw=briggs+starter&_osacat=159912

I also bought an aftermarket--haven't even installed it but bought one on the advice of some members in this thread: http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107559&SearchTerms=starter%2Ccasting%2Cbroken

My .02 - Those mount plates can be removed, correct? Look for a scrap starter w/good mounts and you're in business. Or, purchase the $140 model and keep current one as a spare? One mount plate between the two. I know it's hard to swallow the $140. Again, My .02

Wow, thanks for the link. I just purchased one. About 45 bucks shipped w/1 year warranty. Much more easy to swallow than 140 bucks.... Appreciate the tip Mr. Marshall! Rick

All I have found as any 'difference' in the starters is length. They all seem to be the same, but some are physically longer or shorter, depending on the amount of space that is available for the installation.