Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck ?s - Updated

PhanDad

I recently picked up this 48" deck that was on a 7117 mfg #1690571 Sovereign:

It cuts extremely low even in the full raised position and I think this is the problem:

I've never seen the above style roller bar before. I think it should have this roller bar (same as my GTHL 48" deck mfg# 1691219):

Any opinions? Any idea of the deck mfg#? Thanks.

Did some one put different arbor housing in it or does it have the curved blades on it, like your other deck 1691219. It may need the flat blades. I have a deck like the one you picture and it has flat blades.

I think I have a bunch of NOS adjuster arm thingamajiggy's like in the second picture. I haven't seen them in quite some time, so that means that they are likely buried. But if that is all you need, you can have them for the price of shipping if you can give me through the weekend to dig 'em out.

That rollerbar is definitely wrong, looks more like the ones from the right hand discharge decks, looks like they even fabbed some kind of adapter where it slides up and down.

Looks like the roller bar for my 50" deck on my prestige. That adapter does allow it to slide up and down. They used that type on the 44" and 50" decks, possibly others as well. It is for a right hand discharge newer style deck.

Funny, I was thinking of making a new piece for my gthl to raise the deck cause it cust so low... I may get started on it sooner now...thanks for reminding me...

Thanks for your comments. Simpleton7016, thanks for your offer, I've sent you a PM. Burntime, I also experimented with lengthening the roller bar to increase mowing height. Problem is if you increase the roller bar length, you can't level the deck to spec. I guess you could make other changes to make it work, but I didn't investigate any further. My solution is my GHTL goes on vacation and I use my Homelite T-12 to mow higher in the hottest summer months. Now more on the deck. It definitely has different vintage parts installed on it. After reviewing the newest Simplicity 44"/50" decks, I agree with RayS, the roller bar is from that style. The arbors are the new style (splined arbor shaft), but after reviewing various mfg# deck part lists, I can't find any decks that came with new style arbors and the 3-bolt center pulley setup. All 3-bolt center pulleys that I found use a keyed hub, not splined one. But there must be one because here’s pics of the 3 bolt center pulley with the splined hub:

The blades are flat (not gull wing) and the deck has "deep pockets" for mounting the arbors, so I think the deck is like mfg# 1690272 except for the center hub issue:

I used info from the Simpletractors site to find 48” deck mfg#s. The next oldest 48” deck is mfg# 1690021, which has the keyed 3-bolt pulley hub and old style arbors. Next newest deck is mfg# 1690502 also has flat blades, but no 3-bolt center arbor. More comments? Any ideas on a deck mfg #? And a final oddity, the anti-scalping bar has 3 rollers:

Almost off-topic, but not quite. Could someone post a pic of a Landlord 42" deck UNDERSIDE, that is complete with the antiscalp bar and the deflectors? The one I have had/has none of it, except what I fabbed out of 18 ga sheetmetal. I am going to play with it this winter and build the rest, but all pics I have are for the top side. The parts manuals show an exploded view, and are not good to fab by.

Have you checked the bottom of the roller bar? I've seen them worn down to almost half of the original diameter. Nearly flat on the bottom. Between that loss, and the hole in the roller wearing, you can loose quite a bit of height adjustment. Roller bars being sorta pricey, and the one guide/stablerizer being welded to the bar, I usually cut the weld, roll the bar over 180 deg. and reweld it. This gives the rollers an new surface to roll on. That slotted guide, pic 2, is also used on the Sunstar decks.

Here is a you tube of what I have been able to dig out. The third blade miaculously showed up!
quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXcQpbJdAKM