Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter gear getting chewed on a 7014

srwven

I have a Simplicity 7014 with a Briggs 14HP. I had the starter rebuilt after it chewed the gear up. I brought it home, it started several times fine then, it would just click when I went to start it, tried again and it chewed the gear up again. I took the starter back to the guy who rebuilt it. He gladly put a new gear on and said the starter is fine, that it is getting wedged on the flywheel (why it just clicks on start) then gets chewed up. I checked the metal flywheel and it looks fine. Is it possible that the flywheel is worn and needs replaced? Any help would be appreciated. Gears are cheap but it is a pain taking the starter off all the time to do it.

Briggs has two different starter gears. They are different materials for different applications but are both interchangable dimensionally. Make sure you are getting the right one. Sounds like maybe you are getting the wrong material. Ron

Were there any shims that might of fell out behind the starter mounting? The gear might be going into the flywheel gear to tight. Make sure the starter is grounded,no paint on the mounting surface. I've had to run a ground wire from a starter bolt to a bolt on the engine on some tractors. Good luck,Steve J

HI, I would check the helix on the starter drive, Suspect it is affecting how the gear spins out and engages. Also a weak battery or corroded connections can cause this, because the starter doesn't have the instant torque to screw the gear out before it starts to turn with the drive and then it rubs on the flywheel teeth and wedges instead of meshing. Grease or dirt on the helix will do the same thing. Good luck, Al

Also it's possible in addition to the above mentioned things, that the gear is installed on the bendix WRONG as they only go on with dimples facing starter.Also take starter out of trac.Set it in a vise,power it up with a set of jumpers and see if the shaft is bent/wobbling.