Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Test Voltage Regulator

genesee_john

Have a 5 year old Conquest 20HP Briggs. My battery ran down and I had to charge it to get it started. Battery is 6 Mo old. Yes, a $29.99 from a Farm & Fleet store. The voltage at full throttle is 11.6 - 11.8. After a charge, the voltage at the battery is 12.4 with the engine off. I have a good volt/ohm meter. How can I check the regulator output? It has a 2 wire yellow connector and 1 red wire. Thanks, John

Make sure your rectifier/regulator case is grounded good, then with the engine running WOT,and with your VOM, you should be reading around 13.5 - 13.75 VDC. The two yellow wires are VAC out 30+ volts, again at WOT and rectified to 13.5 VDC. Output in amps is determined by the amount of magnets glued into the flywheel and a call or E-mail to customer service at Briggs would get you the answer. I have a similar regulator on my 7116 connected thru a voltmeter and it has a mind of its own. When the engine is running the voltage will stay a constant 12V and then out of the blue the voltage will ramp up to 13.5 - 14V charge the battery and then slack back. It has never left me with a dead battery.
  • Like 1

Someone just asked me this so I will pass the question here as it is a similar problem. Is the output from the engine AC or DC. I was under the impression it was AC. Thanks, Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
Someone just asked me this so I will pass the question here as it is a similar problem. Is the output from the engine AC or DC. I was under the impression it was AC. Thanks, Chris
Engine side produces 30 + Volts AC and thru the regulator it is rectified and regulated to DC voltage.
  • Like 1

Am getting 23 volts out of the 2 yellow wires. Across the battery, getting 11.7 with occassional jumps to 12.6 and back to 10.7 - 11.8. Check grounding - take off the regulator and sand the bolt locations? What about taking the (-) batt cable off the bottom of the frame and clean it up? The battery connections are super clean. Is there any way to test the battery without using a carbon pile tester? See Harbor Freight sells one for about $39.95. Thanks, John

23V AC is ok for 10 amp system and 30+ is OK for 16 A system. Charge your battery with a wall charger and see where your steady state voltage is. If battery holds 12.5 volts - 13 volts, battery should be OK. Reconnect back to tractor and then run with lights on to see if voltage holds of drops with VOM. If it drops below 10V, regulator isn't doing its job I'm guessing.

Well, my Conquest voltage regulator is fixed. Had to buy a new one at the local Simplicity dealer today. $91 and change. Could have bought one at Amazon (Part # 394890) for about $55 including shipping. But, have to support a very good dealer. How can these little regulators cost so blasted much? Thanks for all the help. John

quote:
Originally posted by genesee_john
Well, my Conquest voltage regulator is fixed. Had to buy a new one at the local Simplicity dealer today. $91 and change. Could have bought one at Amazon (Part # 394890) for about $55 including shipping. But, have to support a very good dealer. How can these little regulators cost so blasted much? Thanks for all the help.
John; Is your dealer Bill's Power Center? They are notorious for selling parts at at least list price plus 20% and seem proud of it. And people are dumb enough to back for more. If not, I don't need to know who the other dealer is. Also Briggs has about a six step marketing system. It isn't real hard to push a $15.00 part up to a user price of $90.00

BLT, No, it's not Bill's. It's an excellent Dealer for service and I purchased 2 tractors from them so I didn't faint at the price. Pretty nasty, however. John

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
I have generally found, the most reasonable and helpful dealer in the SE WI / Milwaukee area is Schroeder Implement in Sussex.
sm03sm03sm03