Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
superbee

Leaf Vacuum Front Mower Baffle

superbee
Does anyone have dimensions of the front baffle plate used on a 42" B-series mower deck. I know these are obsolete, and would be very interested in fabricating one. I figure with its use, pickup of pine needles would be better, due to an increase of less air being taken in, and more suction would be provided. Post your thoughts, and hopefully some dimensions, Thanks, Dave

Kent
I'd recommend you scrounge around for something like the reinforced rubber fender flares for trucks. They're strips of fairly thick rubber/plastic with a wire reinforcement embedded on the outside edge. Then, bolt it on with big fender washers. This would allow some flexibility, yet the wire would help it hold its shape. Something like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GKMWO6 Not worth the price they want for new, but if there's a salvage yard close by, that might be worth checking out.

midnightpumpkin
I do not use a baffle on the front of my mower deck with the leaf vaccum. I would think a baffle on the front of the mower deck would make it harder for the leaves to get under the deck to be sucked up. Just run the deck as low as you reasonably can. If all you are picking up are pine needles, a baffle may work for you. I agree with Kent that you would want something flexible, perhaps and old truck inner tube cut into a strip? Anyone have any experience with actually using a front baffle with a leaf vac setup? John U

Willy
I made a front baffle for mine and I wouldn't be with out one. I used a heavy piece of sheet metal and bent a 45 deg angle in it, the holes are all ready in the deck,all you need to do is clamp it in place and drill the holes in the sheet metal and bolt it on. My measurement are my own not factory. The bend with the holes is 1 3/4 in the other is 1 1/4. I had no real reason for the size,and I didn't have anything to refer to. With the baffle I get a lot better vac action and it don't spit the leaves out the front,as bad.

Architectdave
I have a lawn vac for the 3314 and was wondering the same thing. I also have an old walk behind ariens lawn vac that spits leaves in a bag on the side. On the Ariens I bought some cheap truck mud flaps and cut them into strips to replace the rubber used on that one. You could easily do the same with the 42" deck. I jsut havent gotten around to doing it yet. Is this smoething you can leave on to mow with in the summer as well?