Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fireplace progress

Michiganmobileman

We finally finished getting the cut stone up on the front of our fireplace, started in July and worked off and on at it when we had the time and not much else to do. We do Still have some stones to put up on the sides and then grout and seal everything, and sand and finish the wood, but its good to have this part done. A before picture can be seen at this topic http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102672

We used a log from a tree we cut down for the mantle.

We cut the stones to have a flat surface and the wife spied a fish from the pieces I cut out of one stone, so we placed the trophy on the wallsm00fish

I used a wet saw with a diamond blade and the rocks for the most part cut easily. Greg

Great looking job, so as I understand it you had solid rocks (did you collect them or were they delivered?)and you cut them yourself on a diamond blade? I want to do the same thing. A friend gave me a commercial tile saw that he no longer used. What did you use as a backer? jh

Thanks for the comments guys! John, we collected rocks from fill that was brought in and also raided some of the rock piles at my wifes Grandmothers farm. Was kind of funny listening to my wife complain, the rock piles we picked from were some of the ones she helped add to when she was a kid at the farm, and here we are taking them away. Also had some rocks given to us to use as well as some we had collected previously. At our old house you could not stick a shovel all the way in without hitting rocks, here we have no natural ones bigger than a golf ball. The saw was provbably similar to what you have. Like a chop saw but there was a slide table to put the rocks on and a tray under to hold the water. Mortared the rocks in place on Cement board screwed and glued to a heavy 2x4 frame. Also added short walls under this in the crawl space to carry the load. Burntime
quote:
Is that a quad setup or lennox?
Not sure what you are asking?dz am I missing something? Greg