Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Test Voltage Regulator

RandySm

Is there a simple way of doing a voltage regulator check on the workbench without it actually being mounted on the tractor? I have 3 of 4 of them around the shop and would like to know if any of them are working anymore... Thanks a bunch

You can open it up to see how it looks inside, ideally the contact points should be fairly clean and not frozen together, the more corrosion and dirt you have the more likely it won't work right, even then there are no gaurantees. If there is a way to do a test on it without checking running voltage, then I'm just not aware of it.

assuming this is a magneto system my guess would be to feed it 30+ volts AC and measure the 14 VDC coming out... never heard of anyone actually doing this except while it was on the tractor running...

Yes these are the old starter/generator regulators. Two are from Simplicity and at least a couple are from the old JD/RF/110's, I'm not needing to use one for myself right now, but ya never know. I might even decide to sell a couple of them later and I would like to be sure they in good working order which ever way I go . Thanks to all taking the time to help. Randy

You could reconnect them to a to a running tractor, polarize them to the generator and watch the performance using a VOM on a good battery to see how fast the voltage increases and levels off. If that can't be done, an electrical rebuilder would have to do it.

If they ck bad,before throwing them out,run a continuity ck on the resisters on the back side. I checked and had no continuity I figured what the heck they aren't any good anyway, so I bent the tabs up that hold the resisters in and they fell right out. I toke my Dermal tool with a little brush and cleaned up the contact area on the under side of the clip wiped the resister at the ends reinstalled them. I had four that wood not work,and now three of the four are working. Be careful of the resister, they are wire wound and you don't want to unwind them.