Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity314

Intermittent spark

Simplicity314
The recently-acquired 7016 I've been trying to get up and running is a no-go. Briggs 16 hp. Has new coil, complements of the mice that took up residence in the shroud, gapped at .012. Filed and cleaned points. Engine floods while cranking. Figured it was a fuel problem, but pulled the plug and the engine was flooded. Waited for it to evaporate and checked for spark with the plug grounded on the block. Had intermittent spark, so I know I have even less under compression (most likely). I strongly suspect it's the points-to-coil wire, since I noticed a kink in it today, near the breaker points box. Feels like the wire is broken under the insulation. Probably figured it was the kink from the breaker box cover, but it already had one of those:D. Finally, my question. Probably a dumb question, but want to make sure before I go making assumptions. Trying to cut back. If I get a strong, steady spark on my spark tester (provided I can locate it), that would mean the points and condenser are good also, no? I always associate them with testing the coil, but I would think there wouldn't be any spark at the coil without the breaker. Oh...I also poured a shot of gas in the cylinder, installed the plug and still no fire, so it is ignition.

dave45056
Try a shot of starter fluid thru the carb. Pouring gas in the cylinder doesn't do anything... since it's not vaporized or mixed at 15:1 ratio to air. I bought a Lisle 20610 inline spark tester at O'Reilly Auto for 13 bucks and it helped me with my problem. It's also available at Sears.

JimDk
Try another spark plug. I just changed one that was firing while laying on the head ( 16 Briggs ), but tractor would not start. I tried starting fluid in the plug hole, but no go. New plug fixed it.

JimDk
Good deal. How could something so simple cause such grief? I could not believe that my engine would not fire with the plug that was in it. It was clean, good looking electrode and decent spark out of the engine, but as a desperate measure I changed it. It started the first revolution. We're never too old to learn.

Willy
Every year the city has a clean-up week,my brother was in charge of the parks dept he would have to send his crew out to pick up, junk people would set out. There would always be a bunch of old push mowers,they would drop them off at the shop and during there lunch break ck. them out,most only needed a spark plug and fresh gas.