Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Advantages of a 7116 vs. 7016

rpickle

Hi There is a 7116 on CL near me. Supposedly has carb issues only... Anyway, is it a worthy step-up from a 7016? Granted neither of my 7016's are yard-ready, but they aren't far from it. Would like to know whether I should go get this because it may put me in the dog house for a bit..... Appreciate it. Rick

Basically for most purposes they are same tractor. 7116H had the charge pump driven hydrolift on some models. The mid PTO setup is a little different and the snowblowers are driven from the mid PTO on the 7116 instead of the need for a front PTO as was required on a 7016. 7116 is a few inches longer than a 7016. For my personal use I prefer the 7000 series over the 7100 series, just from looks, since most of the parts interchange. Everyone has their own opinion of which they prefer. I have a charge pump driven hydrolift on my AC 716H (7016H) that I installed myself. So I know the hydrolift can be backfitted to a 7016H if desired and it will work fine. I ended up with around $250 invested in just the hydrolift conversion. If the 7116H has the hydrolift, you would want to consider that as a main item in the purchase.

My 7100's are work horses and I have no complaints other than aesthetics and fact that they seem to ride like a pig. I am with Rod on the 7000's series preference, but for all practical purposes, they are essentially the same....except I alsways smash my knuckles on the 7100 hydrostat lever - but that is more a result of my method of speed control and the way I grip the lever than anything else. But there is more "knuckle room" on the 7000 series.

Thanks for the info. I know it is hydrostatic drive but not sure if it is hydro lift. Don't know what can be determined from the CL pic. Here is the link: http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/1443172371.html Once again, I appreciate your opinions. Rick

I just called the guy, it is a manual lift. He is going to send me some more detailed pics. $150 and about an hour drive (50+ miles one-way). I think it may be worth it even w/o the hydro lift. Rick

yes, worth it if BGB is good and axel tube is not cracked. My opinion. I paid $300 for mine with no engine, then converted it to hydraulic lift.

Well, I'm just getting around for work.... Have an e-mail from the seller, someone was out to look at it this afternoon. It is still listed on CL, but I know that doesn't always mean much at all. I sent a reply saying if it was still available, that I wanted it. Appreciate the feedback. Just what I needed! Rick

I guess he still has it. I can't get there until noon Friday. Not sure he is willing to hold. The chrome air cleaner has to be worth a mint, aye! Rick

Ambler, all he needs are the check valve parts to hook up to the charge pump. Charge pumps are the same. I created a drawing of the change for a 7000 series pump. Those numbers and changes actually came from data that I looked up in the 7100 series manuals back when you could scan through them and pick them out by name. Hard to do that with the current lookup system. I plan to use a Sunstrand tranny from a 7116H with manual lift in the HB116 I am going to build, and will hook up a hydrolift from the charge pump. I have the lift valve and cylinder. All I need to buy is the one set of check valve parts and a couple of hoses.

Well, as things would have it, on the way home from work, my exhaust on the car sprung a major leak. There goes my tractor fund. Very disappointing.... If anyone else was holding back out of being neighborly, then it is open season on that tractor. Appreciate the advice. Rick